Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   spin out (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2986)

Unregistered 12th November 2007 01:58 AM

spin out

i've bought 3 weeks ago, the kombat 105 from 2005. but it wasn't the original fin. so when i surf up wind, i get a spin out or after a jump.what kind of fin do i have to buy?

Ken 12th November 2007 09:54 PM

Unregistered,

I am not a big jumper, just a little chop hopping. When landing, if the board is not in direct line with the direction of travel, you will always spin out. When the fin lands a bit sideways = spinout. This is pretty common, so you have to learn to turn the board in the air a bit downwind to get a landing without spinout.

In upwind sailing, too much back foot pressure on a fin, especially at slower speeds will push the fin sideways and cause spinout. A bigger fin or more speed will help, but it's learning the limits of pressure on the back foot that is the most important. The faster you go, the more pressure you and put on the fin.

Some fins spin out more than others, but it's your sailing technique that is the most important.

I am not familiar with the stock fin on a Kombat 105, but if you will share what fin you are using and its size, others may be able to help you as well.

Ken

crazychemical 13th November 2007 12:11 AM

what kind of fin r u using now? yopu can find the stockfin in the SB archives on the website where you can always check what gear they give. Though those are stockfins and usually are a tad bit too small, but al least you'll have an idea e.

hope it helps hombre

Floyd 13th November 2007 04:57 AM

Try moving harness lines back ! (Lets rig go a little bit further forward;moves centre of effort of sail in front of centre of resistance of board.
With modern rigs its surprising how far back you can bring them.
(Rough guide. for a 5 metre front attachment point 5 fists from boom head; for a 6 metre 6 fists etc. OR harness lines at one third boom length back . Both only starting points. But check. Reckon its biggest cause of spinout.(Used to be crappy fins)
Also after landing sail down wind ; build up speed before loading fin up.Try and load up front foot; push board off wind.

rgugli 13th November 2007 01:34 PM

hey, first question, what fin are you using...in what wind, what sail...your weight.

That can give you a first aproach to the problem. If you are using an incorrect fin then you can feel some spin outs when sailing. Also, some rigging and incorrect setup can add a lot to the spin outs as people mention here.

But try to find one sailor that can gives you the original fin to try it and check the differences. Or look for other fins out there, try them. Dont be afraid to try lots of fins and check which one works better for your board. Also, check always your setup is the correct one because sometimes you have lots of spin out because the center of gravity of your equipment is too high (very high boom, or mast foot too far back)...so, check all this and have fun.

Ricardo

Unregistered 14th November 2007 07:23 PM

i don't know my fin size but i look sunday