Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Formula Windsurfing vs Racerboard class: what to do? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3007)

Unregistered 15th November 2007 08:18 AM

Formula Windsurfing vs Racerboard class: what to do?

Hi, we are looking in our region to add one new class to our race calendar.

We are looking for a class with this characteristics:

- Fun factor
- More 18 - 45 years oriented
- Less price to be competitive much better
- Atractive international events to participate

Would be good if we can try to be the most objective possible on this. All input is welcome.

R.

Unregistered 15th November 2007 09:24 AM

Formula means big heavy sails, high fitness levels and limited wind range.

Raceboard does not.

Just my take on it

Unregistered 15th November 2007 10:10 AM

How about the Kona one design class?

Low cost, wide wind range and sail/weight catagories for fair racing.

Unregistered 15th November 2007 11:25 AM

Hello,

as a coach and race director, I think both classes have a good part. Personally, unless there is a government support as for RSX, is not good to have a class that is one design as the Kona, as it limits people to buy just to one company, better if you have at least a chance to choose.

If you go Raceboard class, then Kona, RSX, Starbaord Hybrids and many others can race and that makes things easier for many people and also interesting.

I think Kona is a nice concept but thats it...its like saying lets compite in Serenity class. Can be good, but its not complete for what you want...say, an international calendar of events.

About fun factor...i vote for formula windsurfing, its the best thing in fun factor. Have not checked the costs between FW an Raceboard class as I am not updated of detailed pricing. Now FW is frozen in boards each two years..thats a good thing. Dont know exactly what raceboard class says about board designs.

Then, you can also have the chance of Formula Experience, is a very good class we would like to have here too. There are two boards racing there Bic and Starboard and lots of sails companies. If you can work in a good 18+ fleet for this class, then all your requirements are completed.

Personal view...from your choices...I will say FW, but again, dont have costs in my hands.

Mike

Unregistered 15th November 2007 03:39 PM

How windy?

One of the delights of raceboard is that you can race in light winds.

In the UK racing inland reduces formula sailors to spectators at the majority of events. At coastal events, the raceboards generally do more races than formula class.
Cheap second hand kit is available for both classes, though raceboards are getting harder to find as so few have been made in recent years.

It does appear that the industry is begginning to support raceboard again after a ten year period when they put all their marketing resources behind formula.

Screamer 15th November 2007 10:54 PM

Post #1

You haven't said where is your region and how windy it is? Apart from a few windy places, I believe a Raceboard will be a better option in a wider variety of conditions. I agree there with poster #5.
I've sailed (and competed a bit) in Div2, Raceboards, IMCO and Formula before I finally gave up and went to enjoy freesailing on my own schedule (but that's another story). I would say that a lot of people have put too much hope in Formula (me included) when they first appeared, with regard to light wind performance. Yes, it can plane in ridiculous winds, but when you have light, shifting, fluky, holey wind (as in most inland places and many coastal), a daggerboard and a long waterline is needed. Also don't forget monster Formula sails, 550cm masts and 300cm booms. How many people (both sexes and all ages) are willing to handle these?
Fun factor? Well I don't know how it's called when you shlog a Formula for miles, on a day when a 5 seconds 10 knots gust is the best thing on offer ;-)

Fair winds

unregistered 16th November 2007 02:49 AM

I'd like to say few things in formula's defense:
1. if you want to plain and race, formula is it, it will give you largest wind range for
racing and plaining
2. depending on where your location there're great
deals on used formula gear, sometimes 15-20% of original price
3. if you're light, <150lb or so, you can get away with 9 or 10 m2 sail,
don't have to go jumbo >=11m2
4. it is a very technical/physical sailing, so training is the key to fully enjoying
formula sailing and taking advantage of it's potencial
5. in the last year or 2, boads/sails did noticebly improved in performance/range
6. when not racing, it could double as a begginer board, it's soo wide and easy

I can go on and on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamer (Post 16542)
Post #1

You haven't said where is your region and how windy it is? Apart from a few windy places, I believe a Raceboard will be a better option in a wider variety of conditions. I agree there with poster #5.
I've sailed (and competed a bit) in Div2, Raceboards, IMCO and Formula before I finally gave up and went to enjoy freesailing on my own schedule (but that's another story). I would say that a lot of people have put too much hope in Formula (me included) when they first appeared, with regard to light wind performance. Yes, it can plane in ridiculous winds, but when you have light, shifting, fluky, holey wind (as in most inland places and many coastal), a daggerboard and a long waterline is needed. Also don't forget monster Formula sails, 550cm masts and 300cm booms. How many people (both sexes and all ages) are willing to handle these?
Fun factor? Well I don't know how it's called when you shlog a Formula for miles, on a day when a 5 seconds 10 knots gust is the best thing on offer ;-)

Fair winds

Screamer 16th November 2007 04:02 AM

Post #7

>1. if you want to plain and race, formula is it, it will give you largest wind range for
racing and plaining
-No it won't. What will it give you if it's 2-10 knots day? (happens often on a scheduled race calendar)

>2. depending on where your location there're great
-This is a joke, right? What you say could be said for any ws gear, and old raceboards could be picked for next to nothing, and still compete within their class.

>3. if you're light, <150lb or so, you can get away with 9 or 10 m2 sail,
-Two things: what if you are heavy? And if you're light, you can sail a raceboard with a 7m (instead of a 9 or 10) in the same conditions.

>4. it is a very technical/physical sailing, so training is the key to fully enjoying
-That's true, I agree. But not everyone wants to train hard to participate in a windsurf race.

>5. in the last year or 2, boads/sails did noticebly improved in performance/range
-True. But none of the drawbacks I talked about have disappeared.

>6. when not racing, it could double as a begginer board, it's soo wide and easy
-It's also very easy to dent, crack and generally ruin. It has footstraps in horrible positions when you're learning to plane, and don't even think about gybing. Apart from sheer size and stability, they are not good beginner boards.

>I can go on and on...
-I believe you. But none of your arguments is very strong. I also believe you like sailing Formula very much, and I've nothing against it. It's just that Formula is not the answer for racing in all conditions, everywhere.

Regards

Unregistered 16th November 2007 06:10 AM

So poster No. 2 hit the nail on the head then

Unregistered 16th November 2007 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=Screamer;16549]Post #7

>1. if you want to plain and race, formula is it, it will give you largest wind range for
racing and plaining
-No it won't. What will it give you if it's 2-10 knots day? (happens often on a scheduled race calendar)

Read what I wrote, PLAINING racing, the FW has the largest plaining wind range,
if you don't care if you plain or not , it's a diff story...

>2. depending on where your location there're great
-This is a joke, right? What you say could be said for any ws gear, and old raceboards could be picked for next to nothing, and still compete within their class.

Just a comment on condition of used equipment market, that didn't exist for FW couple
of years ago

>3. if you're light, <150lb or so, you can get away with 9 or 10 m2 sail,
-Two things: what if you are heavy? And if you're light, you can sail a raceboard with a 7m (instead of a 9 or 10) in the same conditions.

Since there was a comment about heavy equipment

>4. it is a very technical/physical sailing, so training is the key to fully enjoying
-That's true, I agree. But not everyone wants to train hard to participate in a windsurf race.

Yup, it's not best racing gear if you don't push yourself

>5. in the last year or 2, boads/sails did noticebly improved in performance/range
-True. But none of the drawbacks I talked about have disappeared.

Actually, board range increased (lower/upper) + upwind/downwind, etc,
Same for sails, plus whole rigs feels lighter and more fun - what don't you like about that?

>6. when not racing, it could double as a begginer board, it's soo wide and easy
-It's also very easy to dent, crack and generally ruin. It has footstraps in horrible positions when you're learning to plane, and don't even think about gybing. Apart from sheer size and stability, they are not good beginner boards.

If you can pick one up for $200 or so it's preaty good choice, plus I do know
few begginers that learned and really love fw boards, you can glue a pad on the nose to
protect it from cracks, I'm not going even go into jibing, it's too easy on that board

>I can go on and on...
-I believe you. But none of your arguments is very strong. I also believe you like sailing Formula very much, and I've nothing against it. It's just that Formula is not the answer for racing in all conditions, everywhere.