Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windsurfing School (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Taste of Windsurfing Tour (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3273)

Joe 21st January 2008 02:40 AM

Taste of Windsurfing Tour

Hi Roger

Any idea yet of when/if your Taste of Windsurfing Tour dates will be.

I am pondering a new quiver of boards & sails this year and would like to hook up for demo opportunity. We maybe planning a florida trip between now and March - any florida dates?

Regards,
Joe

Roger 21st January 2008 07:20 AM

Hi Joe,
Nothing is set in stone just yet re: 2008 Sailworks/Starboard "A Taste of Windsurfing" and demo events.
I have an '08 Retro 7.5 and some very late '07 (should be nearly indentical to the '08)
Huckers.
I also have an '08 Futura 133 and '08 Kombat 105.
When will you be in FL?
I'm in SW Florida now, but I will be leaving to go back to Hatteras and some work in So. MD/Norfolk in a couple of days.
Hope to be back in FL in a couple of weeks.
Hope this helps,
R

Joe 21st January 2008 08:34 AM

No definite dates yet. Probably late Feb or mid March. I'm thinking Tampa or Miami - so I can rent some gear.
I will look for your dates and see if something lines up.

Anyway - I really would like to try a serenity.

Currently I have a FF158, f2 air 115 and 10.4 nx4, 8.5 retro, 6.6 nx2 and a 5.2 ezzy. (195lbs, great lakes or smaller inland lake sailing)
I am definitely thinking about going all retro's next year. My 8.5 is simply put the best sail I have ever used!
My thinking with a serenity is that I could have a 8.5,6.5,5.5 retro quiver, a serenity and a futura/isonic 122/133 and sail from 0-30knots. I put alot of importance of sailing when I have time - not when the wind blows.
What I am unsure about is - will the serenity give me the same "fix" as a ff158 and 10.4 blasting light wind? (which I love!)
or should I go formula or apollo and a retro 11.0 rig and then the futura/isonic 122/133?
Your opinion would be appreciated.
Thanks for your continued help.
Joe

Roger 22nd January 2008 08:29 AM

Hi Joe,
You really won't need even your 10.4 m2 NX4 to make a Serenity cruise along at good speed in light winds.
Will the Serenity give you the same "thrill" as you now get at a little higher windspeed on your FF158.....?
It's a little different kind of "thrill", but I found the Serenity to be more challenging than the Apollo last year.
The Serenity is never "hard to get going" because it slips through the water so cleanly.
So, there's no real need to pump or any of the things we do to get the wider boards with huge sails up and planing.
The Serenity does plane, but not in the same way as your FF158.
And, when the Serenity gets up over it's bow wave ( in as little as 9-10 knots of wind with a 7.5-8.5 m2 rig) it's very "challenging".
Tiny little shifts of weight or angle make a huge difference in the direction the Serenity goes, so it's a real challenge to keep everything stable when the board takes off.
A little weight on your heels and the Serenity will turn downwind 10 deg. or more very quickly.
A little too much toe pressure (railing) and the Serenity will basically "round up" or come up so high it stalls.
So, I think you really need to try one before you buy one.
Hope this helps,

Joe 22nd January 2008 11:08 PM

Thanks Roger!
Joe

Britt 31st January 2008 11:44 AM

Hi Joe,

Just wanted to let you know that I have a Serenity in my rental fleet in Tampa. Come try it. Personally I love the Serenity.

Britt
North Beach Windsurfing
www.nbwindsurfing.com

Joe 31st January 2008 08:50 PM

Thanks Britt
I've checked out your site - very nice - let me see if I can get down there!

Joe

Ray 23rd March 2008 11:08 PM

Roger,
Have you been able to establish an 08 schedule yet? Specifically for the US Nationals in Worthington.
Say Hi to Ellen for us. The kids are getting big enough that you have to turn your brain on when you wrestle with them.
Ray

Roger 24th March 2008 05:55 AM

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the inquiry (and wake up call on the Worthington status).
I did not realize (until today) that Worthington is once again the site of the US National Championships.
I'll have to review the options in light of this information and see what the sponsors have to say.
Otherwise, I'm healthy, and we are planning a more limited schedule with a more minimalist amount of gear.
Best Regards to all of you!
Roger

Indrek Aavisto 25th March 2008 07:19 AM

Hi Roger, I'm glad to hear that your are healthy again.

You mentioned that you are in SW Florida just now. Will you be anywhere near the Sanibel causeway?

Thanks.