Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Warning on claiming Neilpryde Mast warranties!! (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3358)

wk 6th February 2008 07:21 AM

Warning on claiming Neilpryde Mast warranties!!

Hi guys,

Just want to share my recent experience.. time to burn all my Neilpryde sails!

Many thanks for your e-mail explaining the dates in relation to claim ID # 5394. I have reviewed the case and regret that we have still declined this warranty. The reasons are as follows.

The warranty period is for six months on X9 masts and this covers faults in materials and workmanship in that time. Unfortunately it is widely believed that a 6 month warranty covers breakage in that period no matter what happens to the mast but in fact, this is not the case. As stated above, the mast needs to have a materials or workmanship fault in order to qualify as a warranty. The only sure way to judge this is to review the usage by qty of total hours of use on each mast. The following is a quote from our warranty policy of Dec 2006,

Our experience has shown that, given the intense loads placed on a mast by modern windsurfing sails, any material or manufacturing defect will almost certainly result in breakage within the first six to eight hours of sailing. If a mast breaks after an initial period of trouble free use, our research has shown it is typically due to mishandling or misadventure rather than material defect. This is not a warranty.

With carbon structures such as an X9 mast the quality of the construction can be established very early in the life of the product. Masts therefore tend to have a problem in the first few hours of use and fail, which would indicate a warranty, or they survive the first hours intact, as this mast has done. With 18 hours of use on the water, the mast was clearly delivered to the customer in the correct structural condition.

If a mast breaks subsequent to this, it is likely that the failure has been caused by misadventure or mishandling and not from there being a problem with the mast construction. This is the basis on which we judge X9 mast failures and is similar to that used in other industry's that sell carbon / glass structures.

Please feel free to contact me if there is anything unclear in the above.

regards,

David Mead
Production Manager
Neil Pryde Windsurfing

Ola_H 6th February 2008 11:31 AM

Interesting...

Maybe its a mis-print in their advertising material. It should be 6 hours warranty not 6 months.

Floyd 6th February 2008 04:56 PM

Not a warranty !

And poster 1 is assuming mast was used to its design limits in first few uses.
Mast might not be put to its "test" for quite a while !(And still within design limits)
Why cant NP test all masts just post manufacturer (especially X9.)?
Perhaps they`d break too many !!!

Sounds to me as thoug NP are using customers as testers.
"It might break first time used but after that it should be OK "
Not confidance inspiring is it ??

Floyd 6th February 2008 05:00 PM

Sory Not Poster 1. David Mead.

Phill104 6th February 2008 07:53 PM

Similar cases have appeared in the UK with Roach Poles, not too dissimilar construction to a mast and in many cases built in the same production plants.

In the case of the Roach Poles, the argument was put to the court by the manufacturer that the poles must have been abused. In all the cases reported in the angling press the courts found in favour of the consumer as the manufacturer could not clearly prove that the poles had been abused.

UK consumer law is very different to many other countries so things may be looked at very differently in other parts of the world.

Ken 7th February 2008 03:48 AM

A 90kg pro Formula sailor pumping his rig to get on plane in a race will put a hell of a lot more stress on the mast than my 80kg amature racing body can do. Point being, I could have a defective mast and not break if for months or years.

I guess the answer is, when we get a new mast, we downhaul it to the max, find the biggest guy on the beach and have him pump the hell out of the rig for 30 minutes to see if it will break. If it does, presto - a valid warrantee claim.

AlexWind 7th February 2008 05:53 AM

It's really a shame for the company who claims to be the first one in the sport! A S H A M E!
Why don't they give an accurate support and warranty after people PAY EXAGERATE MONEY for their products?
Here at my place eaven a small and not too good manufacturer like Decatholn changes their broken masts without problems..
Neil jewels can't be replaced without extra money?

Shame on you! I don't think the CEE tribunals or US ones would agree on your interpretation of warranty, i wish a good windsurfing lawyer would take you in front of a court..

The only way these people reason is $ so don't buy their products and go for other brands!
They did good some year ago when they were smaller or maybe more motivated, now NP is not doing well in this area..

Unregistered 7th February 2008 10:25 AM

This is preposterous. Neilpryde are a bunch of clowns. I will never buy anything from this company - NEVER!

Thanks for spreading the word about this serious abuse of consumer confidence.

geo 7th February 2008 02:14 PM

One more thought. Usually racing materials such as X9 masts aren't too easy to get. Usually you have to order well in advance, and wait.
In any case, the "special 6 month warranty" on racing masts, while EC laws say warranties must be issued for 24 months, is a clear indicator of somewhat faulty reliability.
Now, even if Neil Pride was honoring its warranties, what would happen if your new mast, that you purchased to get the best possible performances out of your racing sail, fails in the middle of the European Summer season, that is probably when you need that mast the most and also when you can't find any in stock?

Unregistered 7th February 2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 18584)
And poster 1 is assuming mast was used to its design limits in first few uses.
Mast might not be put to its "test" for quite a while !(And still within design limits)
Why cant NP test all masts just post manufacturer (especially X9.)?
Perhaps they`d break too many !!!

Sounds to me as thoug NP are using customers as testers.
"It might break first time used but after that it should be OK "
Not confidance inspiring is it ??

I second that. If the design defects are so readily detected in the first few hours, why don't they just test the heck out of the mast at the factory. That has to be cheaper than shipping the mast around the world and then dealing with the warranty hassles and consumer bad will.

I'm really curious what is the wholesale price that NP pays for each mast... Somebody must know!