Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Faster Planing for S-Type 115L? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3671)

Unregistered 9th April 2008 02:18 AM

Faster Planing for S-Type 115L?

I bought an S-Type 115 last summer. I wanted something that could go fast and still be uphaulable (I had to swim an hour to shore the previous year). I have been very pleased with the speed and was surprised with how easy it turns. Planing out of a turn is much easier than I expected with a speed board. But the board seems unusually slow to plane. I am usually the last one on a plane even against some 8 year old boards. With the 6.0m sail I am not sure whether it can plane up any faster than my Sonic 85. And with the 7.0m it seems like a real dog. I am used to surfing the Sonic down a wave to get it going but the S-Type doesn’t seem to want to surf. I guess I could hop on the Carve 135 but I definitely can have more fun on the narrower S-Type once I am up on a plane. The stock fin was a spin-out king so I am using Curtis CR7 36 and 40cm fins. I could use some suggestions on making the S115 plane faster (fin size, foot position, mast track, or anything else you have found to work).

On another note I had to resurface the Sonic last year. I used 2-part epoxy and spread salt on top to get texture. The wood came out looking great and the texture is perfect. However, as predicted by the guy I bought the epoxy from, the epoxy has browned slightly in the sunlight. Is there some epoxy made for outdoors? It looked like it would be a lot of work to tape over the Starboard emblem but now I am wishing I had. The 2003 Sonic 85 is a great drag racer but I would appreciate any tips anyone has on making it go faster?

rgugli 9th April 2008 11:16 AM

Hi, I have that board. I dont have problems to start planning. what kind of sail are you using.

I use it for just riding and some freestyling. My biggest sail there is the GATOR 6.5 that is a very very powerfull freeride sail. Maybe this is why I can be planning with this board in 14 knots.

Are you using the inner footstrap position of outer footstrap position...?
Good luck!
Ricardo Guglielmino

Unregistered 11th April 2008 08:30 PM

Sail

I am using a Sailworks Retro 7.0 (Freeride) and a 6.0 Infinity (2-cam). I am using the footstraps in the outboard center position. I am guessing the mast track is in the center position. Where do you put your mast track?

Unregistered 11th April 2008 08:34 PM

Board Year

PS; My S-115 is 2005 version. Did they do an update on this board in following years? What year is your board rgugli?

Anowan 12th April 2008 12:27 AM

I have that board in Technora (so it's heavier) and find no problem getting up to plane whatsoever. I find it pretty good actually. I use 2006 neilPryde's V6 on it, 6.5 and 7.5, and it's perfect. I wish I had RS racing sails but these are way too expensive for me. Plus the V6 are powerfull , light and very manouverable. My mastfoot is on the middle for the 7.5 and a bit more on the back for the 6.5. My straps are outside and all the way in the back inserts.
A great easy and superfast board. My fin is a Select SL7 in 35cm. The stock fin is too big and not as fast as my Select for sure.
This is a board that demands a good quality slalom fin to get the most out of it, it can really be superfast with the right fin on it ( I have put a Ferrari sticker on the nose of my board :D ).

Unregistered 12th April 2008 02:30 AM

The S type is slow onto plane for its volume.
Use as big a fin and sail as conditions allow.
Remember the control you will have at higher speeds that your mates wont on earlier planing kit.
Anyone who says S type planes early either hasnt sailed one or has only sailed one.