Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Which SB is the one for me ? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3849)

Unregistered 11th May 2008 12:06 AM

Which SB is the one for me ?

I'm an experienced windsurfer but haven't sail for a couple of years and want to come back. I need a fast freeride borad that's why I'm thinking of buying a SB Futura.

I'm heavyweight (194 cm/120 kg but want to loose 10/15 kg) and would like tu use the board wite 4,5 (veru remote occasion) 5,5/6,5 and 7,5.

I currently have a Naish 8,11 (104l and 57 width) that I use with 4,5/5,5/6,5.

Which Futura suits me best, 101 or 111 ?

Thanks ans sorry for my english mates (I'm french ;-) )

Roger 11th May 2008 02:41 AM

Hi unregistered,
I guess it depends on whether you plan to keep your Naish 8'11" 104 liter or not.
Then it depends on if you want more high wind capability or more low wind capability.
If you want more high wind capability (and it seems like you do since you want to sail 4.5 conditions and you weigh 120 Kg. (264 lbs.) I would suggest the Futura 101.
I do not weigh anywhere near what you weigh, so I'm guessing the Naish 104 liter is a bit of a sinker, right?
It's a tough call.
A little earlier planing, or a little better high wind performance.
If your Naish is already a "sinker" then the Futura 93 or Kombat 96 would be more
suitable with your 4.5 rig.
Hope this helps,

Unregistered 11th May 2008 05:38 AM

Hi Roger,
First of all I would like to thank you for your help.

I intend to replace my Naish board.

Then it becomes harder ...
Facts :
- With 4,5 the Naish is a bit too big unless the spot is flat. But that is not my biggest concern because it does not happen very often and I could easily buy a cheap wave bord for these high wind days.
- I can't use the Naish it with 7,5 (only 57 width)
So I would like to extend a bit my "low wind capabilities" to answer your question, but only slightly.

I do hesitate between the 101 and the 111, not the 93. The 101 is obviously wider than my Naish board, so it should be able to support a bigger sail but would that be enough to get a 7,5 or should I choose the 111 instead ?

Thanks for sharing your lights

Stéphane

Screamer 11th May 2008 06:24 AM

Stéphane

It will be really hard to use all those sails with one board, you're asking a bit too much (4.5-7.5). My guess is Futura111 for 5.5-7.5, it will take you a bit further into lighter winds. I know Futura101 is quoted up to 7.5, but at >100kg, I don't think it's a good idea to overload the board with max sail. I doubt you'll enjoy it much.
Then get something smaller for sails <5.5.

Unregistered 11th May 2008 06:43 AM

Well ... it seems that I have to choose what suits me best between the F101 for 4,5 to 6,5 and the F111 for 5,5 to 7,5.

If I can have a cheap wave board for my 4,5 I think my best option is to go for the F111.

Other question : let's say that I take the 111, what would be "ideal" for lighter winds with my bodyweight ?

I only need something for winds greater than 12-15 kts which is already a nice target with my weight !

Many thanks for your help, I start to get the picture.

Screamer 11th May 2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21787)
Other question : let's say that I take the 111, what would be "ideal" for lighter winds with my bodyweight ?

For you a 111 is a sinker. The next step could be a 9.0-9.5 rig + iSonic133 for example (or a formula, or a longboard if that is of interest to you). In lighter winds you'll need some flotation, slogging, etc.

And as you've said, lose some weight ;-)

Edit: with regard to wave board, I think it would be much better for you to look for freestylewave, or crossover board for strong wind days (such as Kombat, jp fsw, etc). Unless you're going to ride waves of course.

Unregistered 11th May 2008 04:36 PM

Thank you very much screamer, I think that I'll buy the F111 and maybe directly a Formula with the biggest sail money can buy for light winds.

Have a nice weekend !

Screamer 11th May 2008 08:09 PM

One more thought: if your priority is planing in the lightest wind possible, don't go for a biggest race sail money can buy (Severne Code Red, Pryde RS, North Warp, etc). You'll be better off with a freerace sail with better low end grunt (V8, etc).

Good luck

James 12th May 2008 12:02 AM

Stephane- Before you decide what size boards to get you might want to check out this sail and board volume calculator that is based on body weight.

http://www.vims.edu/general/sailpadd...Calculator.xls

For you, anything under 140 liters is definitely going to be a sinker, and it will take about 20 knots for you to be able to plane with a 7.5. So I definitely think getting a BIG board (like formula) and some big sails would be a good idea. You (120 kg) riding a 111 liter board would be like me (72 kg) riding a 63 liter board; it would require too much wind to be practical most of the time.

Good luck!

Unregistered 12th May 2008 03:45 AM

James,

Thank you for your help but I don't try to find the board which is "practical most of the time". Of course I need a bigger board too ! For that I'll probably buy a second hand Formula with one or two big sails (probably 12 ans 9,5) but my present concern was to choose first the best board for me with 5,5 to 7,5 because I think that it will be my main gear.

I do realize however that it's maybe stupid because I do not use 5,5 very often so I'll have to find a real sinker for those high wind days (4,5/5,5) too.

So let's imagine my future quiver :
- One formula with 12 and 9,5 for light winds (10-20 kts)
- One medium board (F111 ?) for medium winds with 7,5 and 6,5 (20-35 kts)
- One real sinker for high winds with 4,5 and 5,5 (35kts and more)

What do you think of that ? Is it logical ?

Thanks guys your help is really appreciated