Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women's Zone (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The Futuras are a nice change! (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3880)

Ellen Faller 18th May 2008 08:45 AM

The Futuras are a nice change!

I finally had a chance to sail a new Futura, the 111, today, and the changes are apparent, and apparently for the better. What a nice board! Easy to plane, sail, and turn, and fast in control. I'm hoping to try the 133 tomorrow, and compare it to the Carve 133 from last year.
Ellen

Ellen Faller 25th May 2008 08:10 AM

And today, I had a chance to try the Futura 133. Equally improved and tons of fun. More high end speed, but people just getting onto shorter, smaller volume boards enjoyed it too. Very versitile. Good move Starboard!
Ellen

GEM 25th May 2008 09:32 AM

I concur, I LOVE the F133...it's WAY better than the C131 I sold (though I can't say I thought there was anything "wrong" with the C131, it just wasn't right).

Only thing about the F133, and this was in one of the reviews, I have trouble finding the back footstrap. I've solved it, mostly, with more conscious hanging down in the harness and driving off the front foot. I think by July I'll be using it without difficulty. If the F133 has a blemish, it's that getting into the back footstrap isn't 'automatic' like on some boards.

Ellen Faller 26th May 2008 06:48 AM

Hi,
On my first day with the Fut 133, I had the same problem. I moved the back straps from the most outboard site to the next set. In lighter winds, I find I like the back straps in the next to outboard holes, but when really powered up, I now can find and use the outboard setting. However, trying to guess what the wind will bring is tricky. so I leave the back straps a little more inboard, and change if necessary.
good to hear from you with your opinion!
Ellen

GEM 26th May 2008 08:16 PM

I tried a similar thing, which was keeping in the outboard holes but moving the screw from the middle hole in the strap to the outer hole and making the straps bigger. This moves the strap maybe 5 mm inboard. I have big feet (US 12 / UK 46), so this tweak helps. I think the thing that helped the most though was raising the boom a bit, which helps put the back leg in the "right" position and makes the movement more natural.

Ellen Faller 27th May 2008 09:02 PM

Sounds like a good idea! I'll see what that does for me next time.
My 2nd trip on the 133 was with a smaller sail and a weed/grass fin due to shallow water conditions. It was gusty also, and the more inboard setting worked well for that. I'll try a higher boom when I go back to using a larger sail.
thanks for the input!

Lessacher 8th June 2008 12:59 PM

Hallo Ellen! I cannot say if you got my answer, when not, please mail me.
www.designlessacher.com
Its easier to work a weedfin than to answer into the internet. Wolfgang

Lessacher 8th June 2008 01:15 PM

Hallo Ellen! Was it easier for you,with the weedfin , to find easier in the back footstrap.?
Wolfgang

Ellen Faller 9th June 2008 10:28 AM

hello Wolfgang,
I've just read your message here and have found your website. I am travelling now, and will be home with my boards in a week. I'd love to get some of your fins as I have enjoyed trying Roger's many times.
I have not been on any of my boards for 2 weeks because I am visiting family a long way from home.
thanks!
Ellen

Ellen Faller 29th June 2008 12:10 AM

I've now had some time on the Futura 155 as well as the 111 and 133. All of them are great boards and definitely show advances from the Carve series. The 155 version is a light wind board and planes up well, and early. The ride is great too, although not so dramatically different as the 111 and 133 are from their predecessors. In light wind, things just don't seem to be as dramatic. I'm now wishing for a try at a smaller Futura than the 111!
Ellen