Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Freerace (V8 etc) on formula. Good match? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3906)

A_J 22nd May 2008 04:25 AM

Freerace (V8 etc) on formula. Good match?

I am getting myself a formula experience board for low wind days instead of finally upgrading my learning tool a better/smaller freeride. I am tired of rarely being able to plane even with V6 8.5m on our lake with freeride (RRD evolution 75cm, 50cm G10 fin from fanatic). Too little time, then I finally make it to the lake, I want to maximize chances of planning.

I tried FE the other day and 10m severne and really fallen in love with feeling of efficiency. Seems like once you get it going nothing can stop this board.

Now, the questions are
1) Would NP V8 10.6m (2007) be a good match for the formula board? And how many less knots I would be able to plane in compared to say V6 8.5m 2007, which I already have (I am 87kg, canít really pump effectively yet, but fine in straps/harness even on formula. Very gusty on a lake). Or do I need to really get something formula experience oriented (like severne overdrive say 11m or anything else)? I mean for strictly recreational use, no competition, I care less about pointing angle and last top knot of speed, but just want to plane around in the straps.

2) Does V8 10.6 really work fine with 42cm extension NP recommends? Sounds scary. Or would one be better off getting NP xtender to minimize chances of breaking the mast?

3) Is carbon boom REALLY beneficial? I see quite a lot of flex in my NP x6 already extended to 224cm for 8.5m, at 260 alu boom would probably feel like paper (again I am 87kg). OTH the carbon on the loaned 10m at 250 didnít seem to show any flex felt nice (but heavy). But it is hard for me to say how much I loose/gain by having more less flex. My boom max at 250, so most probably I would be needing a new boom anyway, thus it is a good time to think on pro/con. I know carbon is banned in FE. But that doesnít bother me, since the rig is strictly to maximize TOW.

Regards,
AJ

Unregistered 22nd May 2008 05:15 AM

If you got a lightwind slalom (eg big isonic 133/144/150) then it would balance better with your 8.5 Since you aren't interested in upwind/downwind then it would proably suit better. you could always get a bigger rig later for the ultimate.

Remi 22nd May 2008 11:59 AM

Hi AJ,

I didnt try since 2 year the NP V8 10,6 and at this time I feel the sail a bit toos stiff to plane really early. NP decide to stop this size and tehir maximum one is 10 right now. The Overdrive 11m≤ have bean specialy design for the FE class and is really easy to pump and get planning with it.

We break some old NP extension on it in alloy and carbon. NP extender will be better.

Understand that you not race, but alloy boom works on the 11m≤ but anyway if you want to put more $ or € to have a carbon boom that will better of course. Just to know we are using the Nautix FE one in Martinique.

All the best

Unregistered 22nd May 2008 01:45 PM

Hey, I have tried V8 2007 and also Overdrive 2007 ...just to compare.

If you just want to go and ride...both work. But the Overdrive is more efficient sail. Its faster.

If you are just going to plane around....will choose OD over V8 but both will work. If you want to go faster and racing...OD is the choice by far.

Best regards,
Ricardo Guglielmino

steveC 23rd May 2008 12:04 AM

Hi AJ,

You really ought to check out Maui Sails' carbon monocoque booms. In my opinion, they're the benchmark in industry right now. Very stiff, great extension range, and arguably the best front end out there. Now, I wouldn't even consider an aluminum boom, but if you don't want to make the investment in carbon, Maui Sails also makes a range of aluminum booms too that include their outstanding front end.

James 23rd May 2008 03:38 AM

AJ- I think that almost any race or freerace sail will be a good match for recreational sailing on your formula experience board, providing the sail is big enough to get you planing.

Check the automatic sail calculator to compare the planing threshold for your weight for different sail sizes. ( http://www.vims.edu/general/sailpadd...Calculator.xls ) It looks like a 10.6 will get you going in 11 knots, whereas an 8.7 will require 13 knots. That's a pretty big difference.

With regards to the boom, carbon is nice but a new aluminum boom will be ok if you can't afford carbon.

Per 24th May 2008 02:24 AM

Hi A_J
I (95 kgs) sail a formula 159 with a Tushingham Lightning 10.3 twincam freerace sail (compareable to V8), a 520 carbon 75 mast and a Nautix Jumbo formula aluminium boom.
I do press my equipment very hard and to me this set up works just fine for recreational blasting. You will NOT win a race with this kind of equipment but it's seriousely okay for planing, blasting and up and down sailing on a formula and in lighter winds you can kick ass on some smaller freeriders. And the price is rediculous compared to real formula equipment. It has to be said that the differences will start to appear in stronger winds where a 100% formula rig works just better (takes a whole lot of wind and stays controlled). Anyway I can comfortably sail my freerace rig up to about 20 knots and after this I can easily (and prefer to) go on something way smaller.
Should I choose to upgrade something I would get a carbon boom as the "feel" of a rig very much depends on the stiffness of the boom.

Have fun
;-)
Per