Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   162 and R20 smelling bubbles ? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4005)

Polis 7th June 2008 10:18 AM

162 and R20 smelling bubbles ?

based on recent 2 formula races in Portugal and Sopot, starboard formula board 162 seems to be at tail-end of glory.
read that those guys used R20 for barbeque fire..

162 is much slower than 161, vapor or F2 ?

how about R20 ?
everyone is not using it, all on kashy, C3, VMG or some unknown designs.

pfaffi 18th June 2008 02:47 AM

Hi Polis!
The F162 is trim sensible. The fins working with F161 are definitely not working with F162. It took us longer time than F161 to make the F162 competitable. However you will see who finds the "good" fin will be faster than F161. There are more choices than D... on the market.
cheers peter

Unregistered 19th June 2008 11:31 AM

I am tired of these vague answers.
If there is a fin that works and makes the 162 competitive with the Gaastra Vapor, TELL US WHICH IS THAT FIN please.
I sailed the Vapor and it was much faster than the 162 IMHO with several different good fins .

Unregistered 19th June 2008 01:47 PM

It's getting rather doll to read these non-sense posts, rumors rumors rumors and rumors only.

Maybe one day some will understand that TOW is key, cause whether you are on the latest Deb, Kashy, Hurricane, Select, Gasoil, ex C3 or else and same with the boards... You still loose heaps more time tacking and jybing while others on their 4-5 yo fin and couple of years old boards have passed the finishing line. And what about start, getting confortable with your kit instead of changing every 6 months etc...

And one fin that works for Bob won't necessaraly work for Jack... use the one fin that you know.

Happy sailing, less finger training on the keyboard!!

Unregistered 19th June 2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22949)
It's getting rather doll to read these non-sense posts, rumors rumors rumors and rumors only.

Maybe one day some will understand that TOW is key, cause whether you are on the latest Deb, Kashy, Hurricane, Select, Gasoil, ex C3 or else and same with the boards... You still loose heaps more time tacking and jybing while others on their 4-5 yo fin and couple of years old boards have passed the finishing line. And what about start, getting confortable with your kit instead of changing every 6 months etc...

And one fin that works for Bob won't necessaraly work for Jack... use the one fin that you know.

Happy sailing, less finger training on the keyboard!!

blablablabla, "more TOW, more TOW"....
I don't have that TOW. What should Ido? How can I compete with guy who bought Kashy and allways finishes the 1st instead of 4th before Kashy?

Unregistered 19th June 2008 04:02 PM

A couple of things:

-lower your expectations if you don't have that TOW, guys at the top are fast and will only be faster as they also probably are much better t getting the new kit tuned in
-start here, http://www.carbonsugar.com/, Sean has nailed some really good points before getting the credit card out!!
-the new generaion of fins require a different style of sailing that probably most sailor won't be able to pick up straightaway hence the rubbish rumors about this fin doesn't work etc...

raffig 19th June 2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22950)
blablablabla, "more TOW, more TOW"....
I don't have that TOW. What should Ido? How can I compete with guy who bought Kashy and allways finishes the 1st instead of 4th before Kashy?

You have just answered your question.... BUY A KASHY !!!!

Unregistered 19th June 2008 04:33 PM

But you'll have to sell your board first to afford it! Plenty of time to get tuned on your old kit in the meantime as they don't get cooked as quickly as pancakes!!!

Unregistered 19th June 2008 08:27 PM

let me explain again :
- I had the opportunity to sail the Gaastra board for the first time.
That means ZERO TOW on that board.
- From the first second the Vapor was going much faster than my sailing partners and much faster than I was able to sail my own 162, on which I have some TOW now.
- I have used the same rig on both the Gaastra and the 162 and tested the same fins. THIS INCLUDES KASHY TYPE .
- The Gaastra worked well with my rig and the Kashy type fin and had amazing speed and stability . much faster than the same gear on the 162.
- Also much better upwind angle and something nobody mentioned yet, the Gaastra was not picky regarding trim.
-I tried lower boom, higher boom, mast forward and back, and the Vapor board was still sailing well. I'd say it has a very wide sweetspot , as opposed to being very trim and tuning sensitive, as my 162 appears to be.
- also Gaastra went thru chop with amazing speed, without slowing down or bouncing . That board rocks.
- what I asked here was for the guys who were able to tune their 162 to be competitive with the Gaastra to just TELL WHAT FINS THEY USED. Instead I hear this BS about TOW, what works for one doesn't work for another, they all sound like excuses instead of just ANSWERING THE SIMPLE QUESTION.
- so in conclusion, instead of 5 posts that say "you need more TOW" , which I DID NOT NEED on the Gaastra , please just simply ANSWER WHICH FINS WORKED FOR YOU .

Thanks

geo 19th June 2008 09:40 PM

You have all of my sympathy.
TOW is important, but not all. Of course TOW will tune a sailor into higher performances, but it's quite stupid feeling to use TOW just to sort out materials, expecially if the right informations are already available somewhere. Asking on the Starboard forum which fins do work well on the new board seems to me the best straightforward way to go to save precious TOW for other purposes, such as refining sailing skills.
Pity I'm not a formula sailor and I don't have those informations. I am in contact with a formula sailor friend who bought a 162 and has the same problem with fins.