Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Freestyle Fins (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4038)

windsurferdagg 16th June 2008 05:34 AM

Freestyle Fins

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got a hold of an old powerbox fin and cut it down. It is now 18 cm and works great I guess (don't have experience with such short fins). However, the thickness (cord length?) is rather well, thick. It was a much bigger fin than 18 cm so just cutting it left it to be a large surface area and also thick. Should I grind it down to thin the profile as well as the cord thickness?

I have done a lot of reading and research trying to find out if a straight cut off (flatt tip) or a rounded tip is better. So far I think a flat tip (like mine) is good because it has a specific spinout point. Would the same be found if I rounded the tip or made it to a point?

Just wondering if there are any benifits to thinning the profile or thinning the cord etc. So far I love the new short fin though!

Thanks,

Thomas
www.tdaggws.blogspot.com

Phill104 18th June 2008 02:58 AM

Try asking on the www.boards.co.uk forum. There are quite a few freestylers who have done this already.

There are also some pics of one Basher did here with some tips on sanding

RobSwift 19th June 2008 05:32 PM

Be careful with those forums on Boards.co.uk. I have spent a lot of time reading them. The posters (being english) are very technical minded, but I don't think they have as much experience as they make you want to believe. Basher and other regulars are over the hill and limited in current experience. Rasher seems to know freestyle and is actually doing it. However, it's hard to get his attention and see follow-ups to his answers. You might want to find another fin and cut it the way you describe.

Unregistered 20th June 2008 03:13 AM

Balderdash

Far be it from me to deine to even post on a forum of containing windsurfings equivalent to pond life, Starboard riders, stupid that they are, they deserve better than that fool Rob Swift defaming a forum character called basher, who has forgotten more than he will ever know.

His only problem a rare condition known in England as knaffbranditus, is his loyalty to the ridiculous crap you all ride.

Unregistered 20th June 2008 06:23 PM

Small Potatoes

Nothing to say to such an unmanly message except >>small potatoes<<

RobSwift 20th June 2008 07:17 PM

Oh, I see.

So your that nasty queer, Phill, who posts actively on the Boards.Co.UK board where women are excluded. You post your insults anonymously to hide from the truth.

RogerJack 20th June 2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsurferdagg (Post 22889)

Just wondering if there are any benifits to thinning the profile or thinning the cord etc. So far I love the new short fin though!

Thanks,

Thomas
www.tdaggws.blogspot.com

From what I have gathered a thick base width slows the board, making it sluggish.

Phill104 21st June 2008 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobSwift (Post 23012)
So your that nasty queer, Phill, who posts actively on the Boards.Co.UK board where women are excluded. You post your insults anonymously to hide from the truth.

Brucie me old mucker, how are you?

Thanks for your constructive additions to this thread. Hope you get some good time on the water and on the slopes.

Phill104 21st June 2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsurferdagg (Post 22889)
Should I grind it down to thin the profile as well as the cord thickness?

I've hunted down that thead for you Thomas.

http://www.boards.co.uk/forum/forum_...ing+fins&TPN=1

Ignore the banter in the thread. You'll probably guess that a lot of them are friends and have known each other for years so the odd insult is just pub talk.

RobSwift 22nd June 2008 08:11 AM

Sad

Well, Phil104, you have sucessfuly ruined a start to an interesting thread. Don't flatter yourself, however, thinking that I have read your posts. In fact I quickly discerned that you are one sick s.o.b and have not read anything you have posted. Obviously, you know nothing about freestyle or freestyle fins and that's why you are posting here.