Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Why Starboard is keeping mum on Bjorn winning on Starboard ? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4341)

Polis 21st August 2008 01:40 PM

Why Starboard is keeping mum on Bjorn winning on Starboard ?

when Steve Allen won the Formula World in 2006 although he is not from Starboard team, Starboard was gladly telling the whole world about its board (160) powress.

Now that Bjorn (not team rider too) won the latest PWA slalom event on Starboard, Starboard is keeping mum......

Not to upset AA or T1 ?

geo 21st August 2008 03:59 PM

My guess is Bjorn's intentions are still unclear.
It seems he wanted to test whether he was not winning because of the boards, or because of himself. Indeed he won in Alacati, but AA made quite a few unusual mistakes, so one could guess any of the following:
- Bjorn still can't tell;
- Bjorn understood how to make the next round of T1 boards race winning, and he will be loyal to his historical board designer;
- Bjorn understood T1 boards are well worth what AA is riding and will stay with T1;
- of course, Bjorn will decide to change board supplier, and probably that will be Starboard;
- else;
- any mix of the above.

In any case, it seems clear he didn't sign with Starboard yet. We will see, and will be fun to see.

geo 21st August 2008 07:36 PM

Well from the T1 site it is clear that Bjorn Dunkerbeck and Peter Thommen aren't going to work together in the future. End of an age. It will be interesting to see what Bjorn will choose. My bet is on Starboard.

nonopr 21st August 2008 09:25 PM

Not what Bjorn Wants. Is all about What Starboard Wants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geo (Post 24592)
Well from the T1 site it is clear that Bjorn Dunkerbeck and Peter Thommen aren't going to work together in the future. End of an age. It will be interesting to see what Bjorn will choose. My bet is on Starboard.

Are you kidding me. Starboard is the Company who chooses his team members, not Bjorn. He used to be the 11 time world champion but that does not mean he can go to Svein or who ever is the team manager and force them to hire him. Will be a great addition to the team, but there is younger team members that can be greatfull of the extra love.
Just my One cent.
Cheers

geo 21st August 2008 11:57 PM

May be. It would still be possible for Bjorn to ride iSonics if he likes to. He already did. By the way, the same reasoning of yours could apply as well to any of the big brands, leaving Bjorn "free to choose".
We will see, and it will be interesting.

crazychemical 22nd August 2008 12:12 AM

he may not be able to force them, but just the fact that he's The Dukerbeck, the man, the legend, is good enough for probably any boardbrand. If you can get a legend in your team you don't say NO to the name. The PR and R&D allone make it worth while for any company. It's like saying no to a top footsie player just cuz he isn't 23 anymore.

Unregistered 22nd August 2008 12:42 AM

Well,
I think He has the money to buy sone ISonics if He wants to. So this is another useless discussion.

Taty Frans 22nd August 2008 03:00 AM

Hi All,

In my opinion I would rather have Antoine as the top racers for Starboard and Bjorn on either Jp or Tabou or Fanatic as this will be a better competition for both of these guys.

Years and Years go Bjorn and Antoine always did compete against each other and watching them back again fighting for the top to me is like watching the old videos again.

Bjorn is a legend and respect is what we have to give to him.

Antoine, prove that he can beat anyone in any conditions Formula, Speed, slalom. He's a cool guy and to have him on Starboard and winning these last two slalom titles means alot for him and I feel that he deserves these titles.

So whatever desision starboard takes I'll respect.

But to me Antoine and Kevin can do the job as a to keep STARBOARD on top of the racing.

Taty Frans NB-9

Svein Rasmussen 22nd August 2008 09:00 AM

Hi all.

Bjoern is the most winning athlete in the history of sports, 12 world championship titles in a row. When discussing potential opportunities to work with the best windsurfer ever to put his foot on planet earth until date, Starboard certainly is flattered.
What does the future hold? time will most certainly tell!

Svein

Unregistered 22nd August 2008 12:08 PM

Bjorn may be the most successful in racing but - you cant buy style.

Both KP and AA run circles around him when you look at overall sailing talent - ie ability to wave sail (with style) AND race really well.

Bjorn is a racing (and was a jumping) machine

His wave sailing was always really ugly to watch - apart from some pretty cool wave 360s occasionally.

In my opinion this makes him less than the greatest windsurfer ever...

At this point in time someone like taty who can race, throw double forwards and has an INCREDIBLE freestyle repertoire has way more all round abilities than Bjorn. Taty is a far more complete athlete...