Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   sth similar from 2009 to the Aero 117 (06) (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4391)

mim 31st August 2008 04:53 AM

sth similar from 2009 to the Aero 117 (06)

Hi,

since my favourite board is not in 100% condition anymore I am looking for something similar from the 2009.

I was thinking about the new Kode, but there I don't know which volume (112, 122 ? aero is exactly in the middle).

I am pretty heavy guy...95kg. I like sailing overpowered (5.5sqm at 6-7 bft)...
Currently, Aero 117 is the smallest one that I have.

Is the Futura (my second choice) of the same volume much faster than Kode or is it more or less comparable...and how about the airjibing (Kode vs. Futura)?

Thanks for help.
Ciao Michal.

PS: regards to all starboard freaks!!!

Ola_H 31st August 2008 03:28 PM

I used to have the original Aero 117 though and agree it is a nice board.

One question: It sound like you mostly use the board for blasting in chop and flatwater, not for wave riding. Is that correct? Then I think you will find the new Kodes an improvement, for sure. Size is a bit hard to say. The 112 is 3cms narrower than your current 117 while the 122 is 1cm wider. But that's not the whole story. Since the Aeor is your smallest board maybe you don't need to fit wuper big sail on it. Then I think the 112 is the best option.

The Futuras are very different boards. If you liked the Aero, I think the Kode is a much more natural choice. Futura would be for even more blasting oriented straight line riding.They still jibe nice but prefer longer arcs and are overall not as manoeuvre oriented as the Kodes.

Jean-Marc 31st August 2008 06:59 PM

Michal,

Ola's comments are spot on. The new Kode will be the perfect freestyle/freeride/freewave convertible blend for ripping your Swiss lakes in chop and small/medium swell.

Futura are more free-slalom/freeride-oriented blasting hulls, not so easy to do freestyling tricks (in contrast to Kode or Kombat, you can't set the footstraps in a centered position on the tail of a Futura).

Cheers !

JM

mim 1st September 2008 04:22 AM

Hi guys,

I really hoped you give me that kind of a answer.

In fact the volume is for me still an open question...I will go probably with 8.5 as a max sail size...it means even 112 should be good...

The problem is that I need a lot of power to get planning on Aero now, and I don't know how it's gonna be on even smaller Kode...(but the techique is getting better each day...so I will probably get the smaller one.)

The other question is the fin:

Since I am a pretty big boy and I really like sailing overpowered and upwind !!! I have to say that the delivered 360mm sounds to me like too small, don't you think?

...more to the fins problem you can find under another threads of mine, I will be graetfull for every answer!

Thanks and ciao Michal.

Ola_H 1st September 2008 04:52 PM

If you're gonna use it with 8.5, then I think the 122 is maybe the best.

And what you say about needing a lot of power makes me think. The Aero has a "short rocker". It can get going early but requires the rider to get back and use the chop or fin drive if you have a big fin to free the nose. If the rider just pushes the board, it will indeed take a lot of power before it releases. This gets progressively more difficult the more sail you use (and the heavier you are).

The Futura has a longer rocker and in an equivalent size if will require less of that driver input and get going easier. So if you want to have earlier planing in a small size board, the Futura will be better.

But as you say, technique is improving every day. With that positive attitude you will have good time on the Kode too. And if you're after the feel and maneuver ability of the Kode, it might be worth to work some more on getting going.

Fins: 36cm will certainly be too small with your biggest sail, but still probably good for your smaller sails. These sizes have tuttle boxed and you can find a lot of options in the Drake program. If you want drive you could for example try some of the fins from the Futura range.

mim 1st September 2008 05:15 PM

Hi Ola,

as you wrote I do it with aero the way you descriebed...I go back and use a gust when it comes to get planning and if i do it like that and pump a little bit it get planning very nice.

the 8.5 would be the biggest sail for me (I also have S-Type 137) it means I will go with it most of time with 7.0 and/or 5.9.

The kode is my choice.
About the fins...I am kind of an extreme...I do sail usualy bigger sails than other do and I mount also bigger fins.

Thanks for the posts.
Regards,
Michal.

Ola_H 1st September 2008 05:31 PM

Right, that the way. Since you are bigger and use big sails your probably better off with a bigger fin as you say. I suggest trying the Freeslalom Swift 400 which is the oem fin on the Futura 122. Its the same fin as the Kode 112 has, but 4 cms bigger.

mim 1st September 2008 05:39 PM

Well OK,
I'll buy and try.

Thanks!