Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windsurfing School (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Harness Hook Height (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5225)

Crash 28th December 2008 03:47 AM

Harness Hook Height

Roger I always adjust my harness hook up for my Slalom Board Exocet WS80 but as the wind dropped I stuck my sail on my Starboard 160 but forgot to drop it down but I found that I was more in control than ever before! Roger is there just one position for the hook even on a Dakine XT seat harness? I thought it was a case of the lower the hook the better and with a high boom? I tend to move the hook up and down 3-4 inches! I use a weed fin most of the time on my 160 it has a massive wind range.
Crash

crazychemical 28th December 2008 05:45 AM

essentially the up position gives you controle, the down position gives you speed if you have the technical abillety to controle your board/sail under such circumstances. This is basicly why wave sailors use waist harnesses and speed sailors use seat harnesses.
personally i'm a fan of waist harnesses because of the controle thing. Easily hooked in, easily hooked out and if you're overpowered enough you still get a decent speed. And in the end, there's no speed without controle so i basicly never use my seat harness for smaller sails or overpowered conditions (ie i use it once a year, i have no idea why i still have it ....).

ps nice nick ;) i used to be called crashtester untill i found guys that wreck 4 times as much stuff as me ;)

grtz

Roger 28th December 2008 11:49 AM

Hi Crash,
You have me somewhat intrigued here.
I use a DaKine XT Seat, and AFAIK the hook height is the hook height.
I've never managed to change my hook height.
Sure, I can cinch up the top straps and the hook might ride slightly higher (until I hook in
and it puts pressure on the lower straps.
Or, conversely, I could cinch up the lower straps, and the hook might ride a little lower (until I hook in and it rides back up.
My XT Seat goes on in the same position every time I use it.
My boom height will change a little bit depending on what board and rig I'm sailing, but
for smaller narrower boards (< 110 liters... sail sizes < 6.0 m2) I mostly use a WH waist
harness.
I like my boom just at chin level, except on the smaller boards where it dorps down to about shoulder level.
The formula guys all run very high booms (like forehead high) due to the width of the board and sail sizes needed for formula racing.
I'm not sure exactly what you are feeling here.
If you Exo WS 80 is an 80 cm wide slalom board, what sail sizes do you use on that board?
Is your Starboard 160 a 100 cm wide formula board?
What size rig did you move from the WS80 to the F160?
I'm still a bit puzzled.
Roger

Crash 28th December 2008 05:46 PM

Roger Id rigged two sails 6.2 and a 7.8 but just wanted to check out the conditions as there were so many different sail sizes being used 5.4 up to 9 meters. I stuck the 7,8 on my 160 (yes its 100 cm wide) to check out the conditions and was well powered up but with the hook at what you might call normal waist height. The extra control was a revelation I was going faster than before. I normally run the Dakine XT seat harness as low as possible by adjusting the straps. Boom height, about chin high on the WS80 and eyebrow height on the 160 formula board. Checking on-line video I notice the hook height is about waist high on formula boards so maybe the coaching tip Id had when beginning to windsurf was wrong? Yet another variable that has a big change in control and speed?
Thanks
Crash