Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   nose protector - WHICH GLUE? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5251)

baving 4th January 2009 05:35 PM

nose protector - WHICH GLUE?

Hi guys,

I bought a Futura 144 Technora - very nice board. IŽd like to fix a Starboard nose protector on the board to keep it that nice. WHICH GLUE should I use?

Thank you so much for any helpful advice!!
Lioba

Floyd 4th January 2009 07:56 PM

Not on team but for what its worth.
If you use silicon sealent. (bathroom type is fine) it will be very seure but you will still be able to remove at a later date.(If removing pull /tear carefully cutting silicon with sharp blade.Clean remaining silicon off board with a rag dipped in petrol.(petrol attacks silicon sealent but not board/ epoxy/glass fibre.Might dissolve foam though so take care)
(Found clear to have better adhesive properties)
I wouldn`t use anything which gave permanent fix.

Waiting4wind 5th January 2009 05:10 AM

I've used both silicon and contact cement. The contact cement is a much better bond hence why it's permanent. If you want to get the protector as close as possible to the rail the silicon will not stick well enough around the curve of the board.

I have removed a protector stuck with silicon and is still leaves quite a mess. You have to scrape the silicon off with something sharp which risks the paint being scratched.

I think your better off using contact cement and doing a good job of it. The Starboard protector fits in nicely with the design of the board, so there's no reason to take it off.

Just mark the area with a pencil. Apply contact cement to board a and protector and let it touch dry. Then carefully align one part of the protector to the pencil markings on the board and progressively stick down the rest. Be aware, as the name suggests contact cement, bonds immediately on contact. So you need to get your alignment right.

baving 6th January 2009 07:05 AM

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your comments! :)

@Waiting4wind: With contact cement, is there any chance of correction, if I don't get the alignment perfectly right? And what kind of problems do I have to expect if the protector doesn't fit perfectly close to the curve of the board?

Lioba

Floyd 6th January 2009 03:52 PM

There`s no chance of correction with good contact cement !
Contact cement doesn`t ill cavities either !
Seriously use silicon. (I use it to fix body panels to kit cars and it lasts years and years)
Its easily adjustable.
Anybody who recommends something else hasn,t tried silicon !!!!
But your shout !

Taty Frans 8th January 2009 01:27 AM

Hi all,

ever consider of getting a deviator?

Taty Frans NB-9

michelb 8th January 2009 01:45 AM

Taty,

What do you think on a deviator for a Formula with 11 mts sail? Will work or will take apart the mast track and or brake the mast?

Michel

Floyd 8th January 2009 03:07 AM

I thought they could pull mast track out ??

baving 9th January 2009 12:54 AM

They definitely can pull the mast track out. I know someone who got a total board damage.

Brian S 9th January 2009 05:00 AM

baving,
I'd agree with waiting4wind on this one. Put the nose protector (dry) on the board exactly where you want it. Use masking tape to mask the outline of the nose protector on the board. remove the nose protector and apply contact cement to the nose protector and the board. Allow to dry according to instructions. Then, using the masking tape to guide you, press the nose guard into place. You can't move it once it touches, but it's not hard to align with the masking tape in place. Once it's all down, give it a good press everywhere. I've done it a couple times and never had a problem.

the contact cement is permanent, but can be removed with solvent if you have to. (it's actually easier to remove than the silicone) If you ever do remove it, test your solvent on an inconspicuous place on the board. I don't know where you're located but there's a 3M automotive sticker/glue remover which is safe for the boards. Check your contact cement, but mineral spirits might also work pretty safely.

good luck