Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Help with my choice iSonic-Futura (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5323)

SilverSurfer 23rd January 2009 05:07 PM

Help with my choice iSonic-Futura

Hallo
I 'm very confused with the choice of the right board. I want planing power and speed.
I've been with two wrong choices in the past 3 years. I'll explain my road to this.
I want a board to enjoy light-medium days for complement my gear Free-Waves boards 77 and 95 litres. 78-83 kg 180 cm medium level (gybes, small jumps and good plannin technique). I used to sail into a bay with Flat water .
My 1st choice in the past was Tabou Rocket 115-NP Saber 7.2- Not too much planing power, and not too much sensations (speed, acceleration...), close to a Carve 122 that I tried some time before.
My 2nd attemp was a FreeStyle 105 board 6.4 NS Duke. May be I'm too old for start aggresive FreeStyle (37 years old), and not enough planing power...

My 1st dude is about the model iSonic (too Technique?) or Futura (same as Rocket? no feeling...).
The 2nd is about the volume. I'll use with a FreeRace 7.8 sail (Stype, Redline, V8 or Overdrive).If iSonic (111-122), if Futura (122-133).

Thanks a lot, and good wind

nonopr 23rd January 2009 07:46 PM

iSonic 111 would be my choice.

Screamer 23rd January 2009 11:35 PM

SilverSurfer

You say freeride boards "are not giving you enough sensations". Therefore, go for iS111. No need for 122 at your weight and 7.8.

SilverSurfer 24th January 2009 01:48 PM

Thanks a lot.
Both recomend me the iSonic 111. One of my priorities is the planing power, is the 111 enough?. I've never tried a Slalom board, is the volume distribution different to the FreeRide boards?
Good wind

Ken 25th January 2009 03:51 AM

SilverSurfer,

I have the iS 111 and weigh 79kg. Best sails are 6.6, 7.6 & 8.3, with the 7.6 my favorite. It iS is wider in the tail than the Futura, which helps it plane quicker, but it is a rougher ride in chop. the iS foot straps are wide on the rails and harder to get into than the Futura. I haven't sailed a Futura, but I am sure that the iS is a more technical ride.

A year ago, I had to make the same decision as you and selected the iS because if the wider sail range, plus I wanted to master the more technical board. I have a 105 liter bump and jump board when the wind allows me to get on my 5.7 sail.

SilverSurfer 25th January 2009 12:57 PM

Thanks a lot Ken
The report is very appreciated. Very surprised for me to sail 8.3 with 111l, I suppose the equation sail-volume-plane is different beetwen FreeRide and Slalom boards.

Good wind

Waiting4wind 25th January 2009 03:54 PM

If you go for the Isonic you will need to dedicate some time to getting it dialed. They are more technical to get planing and go fast than the average freeride board. I'm new to Isonic but I did find that I needed to point the board downwind more than usual to pump it efficiently on to the plane. When you get it right is fast and efficient. You may want to see if you can demo it to make sure you are happy with the type of ride it offers.

My 7.8m is great match for the IS111, and I also use 9m which works surprisingly well. For me the board is not as happy with my 6.7.

SilverSurfer 25th January 2009 06:24 PM

OK Waiting4wind.
But when you say "technical to get planning" means that the board can plane easily but the rider has to know how to do it?, or not really an easy plane board.
Good wind

kvda 25th January 2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 29446)
OK Waiting4wind.
But when you say "technical to get planning" means that the board can plane easily but the rider has to know how to do it?, or not really an easy plane board.
Good wind

My experience is that in order to get a slalomboard planing, you need to be more active compared to a freerider board.

Screamer 26th January 2009 01:23 PM

Silver
Don't be afraid of slaloms, but you'll have to put some work in it.
Freerides are EASIER to start planing (as in less work and not-so-demanding technique), and some sailors find slaloms too demanding. If you are not getting enough excitement from freeride shapes, than you must be ready for something a little more ... challenging.

Go and try one.