Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Flare 88 (08) Vs Kombat 89 (08) ? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5495)

LagoonRider 17th March 2009 08:57 PM

Flare 88 (08) Vs Kombat 89 (08) ?

Hi everybody,
I'm new on your forums.

(Taty on the place ? ...LagoonRider from Mayotte...:cool: )

I would like to change my actual 92L board ("freemove" : MX 92 AHD), for a little bite smaller.
I'm going in (basic new school) freestyle direction with JP 100 PFS, which is light and wide enouth for learning.
But I would like to have a smaller board (85/90 L) when the wind is stronger and when the 100 L is too big and too wide.

For these conditions, the water gets really choppy.
So does the Flare is a good choice ?

I should say for the Flare (wood) :
- lighter board
- early planning
- accelerations
- freestyle shape (if my level in freestyle increase fast)
- the look (I love it !!)

I should say for the Kombat (wood) :
- more possibility for tuning straps (but maybe it can be better for me to keep freestyle position)
- more carving shape for big choppy water
- also more freeride shape
- (BUT I don't like the red... pfffffffff.....girls and colours.........!!!!)

Simply, the question is :
can I also freeride in choppy water with 20/25 knds with 4.0 with a Flare 88 ?
Because, if my freestyle level increase enouth, I will aready have this small board to go ahead.

Conditions :
Flat water for holidays (10>25/30 kds), and at home (10>15/18 kds)
Choppy water for holidays (20/30 kds), and at home (18>25 kds)
I'm about 55/60 kg

I hope I'm clear enouth (!)

Thank's for your answers.
:)

wiindz 18th March 2009 05:36 AM

the kode will most likely but more comfy to freeride on then the flare but as for a high wind freeride 85l-90l is way to big i would think. you should alost be able to uphaul on a 90l! id go with more of an 80-85 range. as for the board, if your gona be more freestyle, flare, if your gona do more freeride then the kode...

LagoonRider 18th March 2009 03:34 PM

Hello wiindz !
Thank's for your thread.

You're true about 80/85 L.
But, the wind at home is not so much hight (85/90 should be the limit), and also I would like to buy only one board...
For the very hight conditions during my holidays, I can rent a smaller board for the few days it happens... (I arready did it with wave board)

For sure, if my level increase fast I will do more freestyle than freeride (I really get boried to go straight way, turn, straight way,turn,...)

Maybe it's a little bit too early to talk about a small freestyle board for me, but the opportunity is there for me to buy a Flare wood 08, and I really love the look (instead of the 09 black and white on the deck)
So it's why I wanted to know, if during time I will get better level in freestyle, it will be OK to ride (SOMETIMES) in big choppes with the Flare.

Ola_H 18th March 2009 05:53 PM

The 08 Flare 88 is in fact a very nice high wind riding boards in general. Fast and stable. And it has a rather narrow tail, so the single straps is not a problem. It's a really nice carver too, especially in fast drawn out jibes - the harder and faster you push it the better. It will still be rather big for seriously powered up 4.0 riding for you (for that you would need to go for something considerably smaller, like a Acid 74). But as long as you rig a bit small and stay out of the overpower range, the Flare 88 will work nice with 4.0 too.

So overall, the Flare 88 is more all round than you might think, and if you have freestyle ambitions it seems like a very good choice.

LagoonRider 18th March 2009 06:34 PM

Many thank's Ola !!
That sounds better for my choice !!
I wanted to be sure...
The single back strap is not a problem, I really prefer one than two !

I hope I will use it for freestyle soon !

See you !