Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pure Acid 74 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553)

marksw 23rd October 2006 01:51 AM

Pure Acid 74

I am thinking of upgrading my 80 2005 for a 74 2007. I have seen no reviews of this board from UK magazines. Anyone used one yet? How is this new spiralling vee concept?

I am sailing in Tarifa and the 80 has been a great board. Need something smaller...

Any comments?

Jonathan 23rd October 2006 08:23 AM

RE: Pure Acid 74

I would also be interested to hear any feedback on the new PA 68 and how it compares to an Evo 62 as a very high wind board for me at 68kg. Interested in both bump and jump use as well as onshore wave, fundamentally I understand the difference between the two styles of board but there seems to be subtle variation within each range. As the PA 68 is new it would be interesting to hear what the intended use was and whether it crosses into the new gen zone or remains as a true down the line gun. The problem I find in really strong wind is that it becomes so hard to actually slow down enough to catch the wave instead of just blasting over it. I have an Evo 74 but once it gets really windy it gets way too big, particularly in bump and jump. I guess the other one to throw into the mix is the Evo 70 but this seems too close to my 74 in size to really make the difference. Any thoughts would be most welcome. Thanks

Giuseppe from Italy 26th October 2006 06:15 PM

No news?;)

marksw 27th October 2006 01:39 AM

Still no news? Perhaps there isn't any!

The RRD Hardcore Wave 74 is getting really positive reviews so maybe I will buy one of them

Very strange that neither Boards or Windsurf magazines from UK in Sept. & Oct wave board reviews and no Acid.

matyix 28th October 2006 08:23 PM

That's because by the time the tests were taken the PA was not in the stores ...

cuno 21st November 2006 05:02 PM

Just go for the acid 74 wood! I've bought the board about a month ago and it's the nicest board I've used in my life! Last year I've been sailing the evo 74 wood 2006. Before I bought this board I've tried the JP RRW pro edition (team sailors only, not for sale) 2007, the guerilla 2007 and RRD's. I sail both Holland and WA in OZ and it works great in all conditions. Don't beleive the tests that say you need masthigh waves for this board to work, it works in on to sideshore shitty dutch waves a well.

Guys from SB, thanks for building such a nice board!

cuno 21st November 2006 05:03 PM

Just go for the acid 74 wood! I've bought the board about a month ago and it's the nicest board I've used in my life! Last year I've been sailing the evo 74 wood 2006. Before I bought this board I've tried the JP RRW pro edition (team sailors only, not for sale) 2007, the guerilla 2007 and RRD's. I sail both Holland and WA in OZ and it works great in all conditions. Don't beleive the tests that say you need masthigh waves for this board to work, it works in on to sideshore shitty dutch waves a well.

Guys from SB, thanks for building such a nice board!

Ola_H 21st November 2006 11:30 PM

Seems like I missed this post.

I agree with Cuno, the PA74 is surely a special board. Its one of these boards that just feels right. The spiraling v works in very well, just as on the Kombats. It engages when you enter a turn at lots of speed and do a kind of front footed turn and then it just glues the front end to the radius you're turning. Turning like on rails is an often used phrase, but here it fits unusually well. This goes both for turning on a wave and flat water. I personally liked it a lot for blasting. I tested it in waves but kept doing speed runs outside of the breaks every round just to feel the board work. Despite being about as wide as the 05 80 it will definitely feel smaller.

Jonatan:I think all the Pure Acids crosses over to perform on cross onshore too (but still keep their style). The PA68 has a bit more drawn out outline than the 74, but will still handle slower speed OK (but the 74 does this better). I actually looked at my testing protocol from PA07 testing the other day, and I wrote that the 68 clearly felt like the right size for me (I'm 69 kilos).

As you suggest, both the EVo 70 and particularly the 62 are valid options too. The 70 works in lots of wind, but you need to be very committed to handle its relatively big size. If you do this the more drive built into the shape is wonderful. I sometimes use it even with a 3.5 despite that I also have the 62. It may seem close in size to the 74/75, but the control factor in lots of wind is actually heaps better on the 70.

The 62 is an easier board to ride once your super powered up. Its narrower tail makes it less critical how you set up the top turn and is extremely easy to control in a straighline to. It handles 4.5 and 5.0 well too, but ust want to be a bit more powered up on a wave to stay efficient.

Please ask again if you want more info.

Giuseppe from Italy 19th December 2006 05:27 PM

Hi at all,
If is possible I would like to know more info about Pa 74/07 in real wave conditions (example Mauritius conditions real big wave/low/medium wind).
In particular what about:
1) Up wind propension (to arrive first on the pic of the wave...)
2) Bottom turn in real big wave front foot/back foot, short turn/long turn, grip propension, one foot off not to much wide at my weight (69 kg).
3) Early planning propension
4) Top end speed/ high jump.
I ask this beacuse at the moment I am learning real wave riding and I like directional/classic wave board.
Thanks in advance.
Giuseppe :)

Giuseppe from Italy 20th December 2006 10:00 PM

Anybody try Pa 74 in real wave?:)