Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   OD 11.0 2009 cams problems (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5853)

Unregistered 10th June 2009 03:11 AM

OD 11.0 2009 cams problems

Hi,
I have a 2009 Overdrive 11.0 and I'm having a LOT of problems with the cams. They ALWAYS pop off the mast, no matter what I've done to fix that. I've tried more downhaul (doesn't fix the problem and the sails feels dead with the recomending setting in light winds), less downhaul (good power but make the problem bigger) , I put one large (4mm) and one small (2mm, installed in the sail by the factory) spacers in the cambers above and below the boom and nothing seens to fix the problem. I'm tired to lose sailing time trying to fix this.
Any sugestions PLEASE???
Good winds.

michelb 10th June 2009 09:16 AM

wich mast?

go for www.severnesails.com they have a forum for OD and CR.

Saludos,

Michel

michelb 10th June 2009 09:19 AM

Sorry.

http://www.severnesails.com/forum/index.php

Saludos,

Unregistered 10th June 2009 09:40 AM

I know that Severne has a forum, but I think maybe other people here have the same problem and might be helpfull.
I've already posted the same question there.
Thanks.

LK 10th June 2009 12:40 PM

What mast do you use ?

mim 10th June 2009 01:55 PM

I kind of already tried to put some ideas on severne forum...
Jesper will tell you definetely more about it.

Ciao Michal.

Unregistered 10th June 2009 04:57 PM

I use the recommended mast, Severne Blue Line 540. The sail is rigged with the recommending settings. Almost every time I flip the sail tacking or jibing, the top 2 cams pop off the mast. Sometimes when the sail fall in the water the same cams pop off the mast.
Mim said that I need more outhaul, but I feel the sail is OK with the outhaul I'm using right now, if I add more outhaul the sail loose power.
Maybe I'll need to put more spacers, but I don't know how much and the sizes.
Thanks everyone.

mim 10th June 2009 05:18 PM

it si the same I had.

Yep you are right you will loose a bit of power, there some ideas to improve that...be sure to tight the sailfoot tight around the mast extension...and when sailing with adjustable outhaul...set the sail flat (1-2 extra cm of outhaul).

When sailing on the reach or downwind you can release it a little and before a turn tight it back on.

I did it before i bought a longer boom to make the sail flatter and it worked.
I would say that the Overdrive is not that powerfull as it thought to be, but there is still enough to get you on the plain and when the sail is a little more flat it is much faster on top end and you can stick with it even in pretty strong winds.

I do not have a problem with the cambers since I use a bit more outhaul and the sail 10sqm still can get me going if it is steady 10 knots gustying 13. And I am 100kg guy.

Sorry if I disappointed you!

PS: you do not have to post any pictures because it is the same problem as I had in my OD (interestingly only in the bigger sizes).

Ciao Michal.

Unregistered 10th June 2009 08:36 PM

painted sails are bad

Severne cover their sails in a layer of paint.

Do you think this is a good performance enhancement?

I am not surprised the cams pop-off.

Load of crap IMHO.

Unregistered 10th June 2009 09:21 PM

The sad thing is if you want to race in the FE class you don't have many options.
Sailworks Retro: I can't find here in Brazil.
Gaastra GTX: 2008 was FE legal, 2009 I don't know.
Severne is the only brand making a FE dedicated sail, and I alerady had the severne Blue Line 540 mast.
Maui: I can find, but lost the chance to buy one because nobody uses the Titan here.
Neil Pryde, North Sails and etc don't make FE sails.
I think more brands could make FE sails and FE boards, the class is saving windsurfing race here in Brazil.
North could make the RAM in 11.0 size, Neil Pryde could make the V8 in the 11.0 size too.
Well, that's it.