Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Extend Starboard boardquiver (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5973)

leysenkr 17th July 2009 12:44 AM

Extend Starboard boardquiver

I surf for 3 years now. In the beginning of this year i bought myself a Starboard Futura 2009 101L. Now i can waterstart and gybing is also starting to work. This weekend I found out that my 101L was a bit unconfortable with my 5,3mē very well powered (sticky). I'm thinking of buying an Isonic 122 for lower wind in the future but first I want to buy myself a smaller board.
Which board will fit very well under my Futura 101L? What is the difference between the Acid, Evo and Kode? Which volume will be the best?
For now the most important factor will be the comfort of the board because I still need to learn a lot.

nonopr 17th July 2009 03:08 AM

86 isonic. Super fast.

Ola_H 18th July 2009 02:21 AM

In 80 liter and smaller, Acid and Kode are the same types of boards. IN bigger sizes, the Kodes stem from the Kombats. It depends a bit on your weight which size is the best. If you are under 70 kilos, an 80 could be OK. But if not something like Kombat/Kode 86 is probably the right size. A Kode 86 has its sweet spot right at 5.3 and for flat water blasting it handles much windier conditions too.

An EVO is an alternative if you are planning to sail in waves and want to learn how to wave ride. If not, the Kode/Kombat/Acid is a better alternative.

leysenkr 18th July 2009 11:59 PM

Thank you very much for the answer.

I weigh 72kg and I'm planning to learn to waveride so will the EVO 75 (ass wide as the Kode 80) be the best then? Is it also comfortable surfing when i'm not in the waves?

This website tells me that the Evo is made in Wood, Woodcarbon and Technora. But nowhere I can find anything on the Technora version, not in tests, shops nearby. Is there a Technora version available?

Ola_H 19th July 2009 07:35 PM

OK, Then I think a good step down is indeed Kode 80 or EVO 75 (or even Quad 76 if you want for the 2010 boards). Both Kode and EVO are good in waves. The main difference is that the Kode prefers more speed to turn well. Its not that it's not a radical board, because it is - Kevin Pritchard used it in Cabo Verdo to score a super good result in the most radical conditions knows. And it makes most stuff in the waves easy, including setting the rail to go into a bottom turn. But the hardest part of wave riding for most is keeping speed up and turning towards the lip of the wave. And here the EVO (and quad) really excel. And the EVO 75 will work well for non wave sailing too, it will just not feel as agile as the Kode. But the EVO have scored really well as high wind freeriders in the germen wave board surf test every year and they do offer a stable platform for that type of sailing too.

So in summary: both Kode 80 and EVO 75 will handle anything you will put them through, but if you're eager to get good at wave sailing as quickly as possible, you will probably learn faster on an EVO.

Construction: Yes, I think there is stil the technora EVO, but it might be the case that your importer has choosen to only get wood and woodcarbon.

leysenkr 25th July 2009 08:19 PM

EVO 75 2010 it will be ;-).
Thanks!

Ray Timm 25th July 2009 11:55 PM

The Quads replaced the Evos for 2010. The Quad 76 would be a great substitute for the Evo 75. However, you might be able find an Evo 75 2009 model. I've sailed every iteration of the Evo 74-75 except the 2008 and the 2009 is my favorite of all of them.

leysenkr 26th July 2009 12:09 AM

Can anyone from Starboard confirm this?
Quad is not an option because I'll also use this board in strong and choppy conditions. And last but not least, i'm a beginner concerning wave-surfing and smaller volume boards.
I also want to buy a Technora version because off the same reason as above, being a beginner.
Won't the Quad replace the Twin?

Ray Timm 26th July 2009 05:38 AM

Both the Evo and the Evil Twin are being replaced by the Quad. I find the Quad 76 that I'm sailing handles strong wind and choppy conditions as well if not better than my Evo 75 and I don't have the single fin option on mine. And I think Quads will help beginning wave sailors reach their goals. The Quad with the single fin option is also constructed with Technora.

leysenkr 28th July 2009 12:21 AM

Hopefully will the Quad Technora with single fin option be available in Belgium.
How will Starboard avoid drag through the open finboxes?