Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   CRAVE 162 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654)

FMCGREE 12th November 2006 09:18 PM

CRAVE 162

CRAVE 161, anyone on this board tested the hydro blade? i wonder if if the divise would improve the early planning on my crave 161,:) also welcome any ideas that would improve lite wind planning.

Roger 12th November 2006 09:50 PM

RE: CRAVE 162

Hi F McGree,
You could try a Hydroblade on your Carve 161, but you would have to take the board to a professional repair shop and have the inserts for the 2 screws that hold the Hydroblade to the board added to the bottom of your board. And, just where would you put it for max. "Hydroblade" effect?
Also, the Carve 161 does not have the concave area (designed into the new Mistrals) that works with the Hydroblade.
Carvbe 161's plane pretty early, with good technique and a large enough rig for the conditions, so I'm not seeing how adding the Hydroblade would give you much if any gain in early planing.
Mostly, on the Carve 161, if you aren't planing pretty early, you aren't getting far enough back on your board to lift the nose and get the pitch axis of your board optimized to "slide" up onto a plane.
Gotta get your weight back until your front foot is at or between the front footstraps.
Hope this helps,

FMCGREE 13th November 2006 03:43 AM

RE: carve 161

i also own a ex 77 135 liters & ex 79 140 liters. the mentioned boards plane sooner then my carve 161 & that suprised me considering 20 to 25 liters less vol.

Roger 13th November 2006 04:49 AM

Hi F McGree,
Somehow this does not sound right to me.
Are you using the same technique on all 3 boards?
What sail sizes?
As I said, my guess would be that you have developed techniques
that work to get your Exocets going early, but those same techniques don't sound like they suit the big Carve.
Try getting further back on the board, and perhaps a little sooner.
Hope this helps,

FMCGREE 13th November 2006 09:23 PM

Roger, thanks for the info. rigs,neutron & nitros 8.5. the 161 does not want to plane as early as the others, thought the hydro blade would solve this but maybe not. i did need some tech info on this devise. thank you for this info. i also own a crave 111 & the board works well on all points.

FMCGREE 17th November 2006 09:43 PM

roger,is it possible the carves use a more powerful fin then the ex's. reason i ask yesterday i use one size larger weed fin one my 111 & the board planned much better in the gaps. have a larger weed fin,5oc,coming for the 161.

Roger 18th November 2006 10:12 AM

Hi FMcGree,
Hmmm.... my mistake.... I didn't ask what fin you are using in the Carve 161.
If you are using weed fins, then that could be a huge factor as to when the board will plane.
I do not think the Carve fins are very likely any more "powerful" than the stock fins in your "Ex's" but fin span could have a huge influence.
If you are using fairly shallow highly swept back weed fins, they can just about kill the early planing performance.
Hope this helps,