Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Weed Fin for Kode 102 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6698)

Unregistered 23rd August 2009 06:17 AM

Weed Fin for Kode 102

Just bought a Kode 102. Since I frequently sail in a weedy area, I ordered a couple of True Ames Blade Weed fins. Surprise - the Kode 102 uses a US 8" fin base and the largest of the True Ames weed fins that will fit is the 28cm model which is intended for sails up to 5.5M. The Kode claims it can be used with sails up to 7.5M. Seems like a design flaw - even my Acid 88 has a US base which is longer than 8".

So what can I do to sail the Kode 102 in a weedy area with larger sails? Does anyone know of any larger weed fins that will fit in a US 8" base?

Roger 23rd August 2009 08:33 AM

Hi Unregistered,
It's often possible to shorten the fin base to get a little larger weed fin to fit in the shorter Starboard fin boxes.
Here's how to modify the fin base:
1/ Move the screw and counterbore back further in the tab on the front of the fin.
Then cut the excess tab off and radius the end to suit the radius at the front of the fin box.
2/ Move the pin at the rear forward a bit and cut off all the excess tab at the back of the fin base.

Good weed fins (like the True Ames Blade Weed) tend to be able to handle quite a bit more sail that most sailors think they will.
28 cm = 11" in the Blade Weed and I've used the 11" Blade Weed up to 7.5 m2 with fairly good success.
I'd check with Chuck Ames and see if he can cut back the base on a 32 cm (12.5") Blade Weed for you.
Hope this helps,

Unregistered 24th August 2009 12:09 AM

Thanks Roger - I looked at modifying a fin but wasn't sure whether or not it might affect it's integrity. I think I'll contact True Ames directly as you suggest.

Unregistered 25th August 2009 05:31 PM

Hi!
I have to sail half of the year with weedfins and found the following solution:

96 liter Fanatic Freewave (short us-box) with lessacher quatro Chamäleon 28cm. This is a good combo for Freemove sails size 5.7 to 6.7 with my 88kg

To modify the fin I did the following:

- Cutting the regular nose of the base in a way that the fin can exceed the box for about 1.5 cm.
- drilling a whole for the pin in the front part of the fin-base (regularly positioned in the back part of the fin-base)
- sawing out a nose at the back of the fin-base to hold the screw.(Because the fin outline has a cut out above the backend of the base you can insert the screw)

This procedere allows to place the fin in a more forward position that gave about an equal center of power compared to a regular fin. Especially for this board and sail combo this is crucial because you have to combine early planing/light winds with manoverability. I tested many alternative fins but this is the very best solution I found.

For Slalom/Racing/Freeriding or wavesailing the problem with the fin position isn´t that delicate. You only have to find a good weed fin (also not easy). I can recommend lessacher fins - very unconvential design/profile but best solution I have sailed (fast, good to acceptable early planing and upwind)

Hope you could understand my clumsy english!