Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windsurfing School (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kombat Tufskin 122 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7304)

igontijo 18th September 2009 12:33 AM

Kombat Tufskin 122

Kombat Tufskin 122

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi friends

My name is Isabella and I am getting my first board today...
I was told my a saler that this board is great and they are in sale ....

I live on the sea side place in Brazil and I just want to check if this size is right to me

I am 140 LB ( 63 kilos) and they sold me a rib pilot 4.5 .

Am I doing the right ? Is the board really good to me ?

many thanks

Isabella

Roger 18th September 2009 07:06 AM

Hi Isabella,
What is your current skill level?
Have you sailed a shortboard (something without a center fin or centerboard) before?
How much wind do you expect to sail in.
At 63 Kg. the Kombat Tufskin 122 could be a resonably good first board, with a 4.5 m2 rig.
You probably won't get planing with this setup unless your windspeed in approaching 20 knots.
If you have no previous experience, the Kombat 122 could still be a good choice, but take a few lessons on a larger board to get the basic skills mastered and to figure out how to balance on the board.
Hope this helps,

igontijo 19th September 2009 07:47 AM

thanks

Hi Roger

Thanks for all that information

No , I had never used a small board at all ! Actually , I never sailed a Wind surf on my life.
I had a Optmist when I was young , and them after a laiser boat . So I know how to sail , but windsurfing ... that is going to be my first one.

I was looking for a biger board , but I was told that getting a biger one would me fell boring after few month . I live in Brazil , and for us here they cost a lot and it is not easy to find models and sizes.

So I will not be able to be replacing thet board in a short time .

The place here where I live is a sea side , and have strong winds

sorry for my english ...

Many thanks

Isabella

Roger 19th September 2009 10:51 AM

Hi Isabella,
OK, that makes the picture much clearer.
It's probably true that you would "outgrow" a larger board (perhaps a Rio or a Go) in about half a year, but getting a board as small as the Kombat 122 is going to make your learning curve much more difficult than necessary.
I hope that learning to windsurf on the Kombat TufSkin 122 will not prove so difficult that you give up on windsurfing all together.
Are there any WS schools in your area (or dealers with basic skills lessons programs)?
This would allow you to get past the very basics (which will be alot more difficult on the Kombat Tufskin 122) on a larger board, and then you can take your newly developed skills and balance onto the Kombat 122.
It's not that the K122 will not float you or anyting major like that, it's just that it will be significantly more "tippy" and much harder to learn the basics on, than say a Rio M; Rio S; or one of the larger GO boards.
Sorry to "rain on your parade" here, but I'm not sure your dealer is being completely up front of the skills needed to sail the K-122.
Your Opti and Laser skills will transfer (sort of). You will know how to read the wind direction and how to look at the water for signs of significant wind increases or lulls.
Beyond those two "skills" windsurfing will be pretty much completely new.
I sailed all types of dinghies since I was 8 yrs. old, but when I first got on a Windsurfer One Design at the age of 30 something, I was completely lost and had to swim the board back to where I started.
Being a persistent kind of guy, I kept at "learning to windsurf" for quite a while before I actually was able to really say I had the basics mastered.
I had no access to lessons, so I had to learn everything the hard way.
I have taught windsurfing all over the USA, in Thailand, and a little bit in the Caribbean
and while I see those students who have sailed dinghies before as having some advantages, the learning curve is still pretty steep.
Hope this helps,

igontijo 20th September 2009 07:30 AM

thanks again Roger.

I am pretty much confuse about everything now hihihihihihih .... and I hope I will not give up trying to learn it !
I got by board( package) on one of the best shops here in USA ,,, but now I am not sure if a did it right.
I will do what you told me ... find a place where I would get a bigger board and learn the basics .
I was checking the wind velocity there just now ... and was around 10 knos ( 8 :00 Pm ). There is the end of the winter in Brazil , and the windy season stars from october to april ... so I hope I will get enought wind to use this board.
The guy who sold me this board said that I will need about 7 knos to sail this windsurfing.
Did they just wanted me to buy it ?
I have a realy old board there ,,, a mistral ( probably 15 years old). Would that help me with the first steps?

Would my new Rig and boom work on that board?

I have no words to thanks you for all your time !!!

Many many thanks again

My best regards

Issy

Roger 20th September 2009 10:03 AM

Hi Issy,
Your old Mistral is long and narrow, and may be as tippy (or tippier) than the K-122.
Look for a school that uses wide boards like the Starboard Start/Rio, Bic Nova, or Exocet Cruiser.
These very wide boards (85-100 cm wide) will make learning to balance, and the basic skills much easier and will accelerate your learning curve dramatically.
Once you can balance, sail out, tack, and sail back to where you left from, THEN you may want to give the K-122 a try.
The larger wide boards will have some sort of centerboard or center fin, which will help you to sail upwind and stay upwind if you sail in side offshore or offshore winds (not so good for learning).
Look for side onshore or sideshore winds as the best conditions to learn in.
You will need to make the transition from a board with a centerboard to the KT-122 but when you get to that point, we can suggest how to make that transition as easy and painless as possible.
The new mast, sail, boom and mast base should work on your older Mistral but you may need some sort of adapter pin to mate your mast base to the Mistral track system.
As far as wind speed, 8 knots will be fine for learning, and when the winter winds arrive you should be ready for them.
This is when the K-122 will begin to shine.
In 15 knots of wind, the K-122 with 63 Kg. Issy on board and a 4.5 m2 rig you may even start to plane.
That's when the fun begins, but again, pick your conditions, look for places to sail with side shore winds, and do not become discouraged is you have a bad day due to too much wind. You will soon learn to crave higher wind speeds.
If you have any sort of problems or issues, we are always here to give you some guidance.
And, yes, I think the dealer really wanted to sell that board......sorry, but dealers are mostly in business to make money and sometimes what they have on hand is not what a particular customer really needs.
Hope to hear that Issy and the KT-122 are out there blasting all around very soon.
R