Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mistral Naish 8'11 - any experiences? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731)

letik 29th November 2006 03:27 AM

Mistral Naish 8'11 - any experiences?

Recently got Mistral Naish pro 8'11 (273cm 105L). Wanted to know if anybody had any experiences with this board and if it's a keeper?

Stupid question... I have a carve 37cm fin from JP and 8 meter datona sail. The rig is super lite. I'm about 165 pounds. wondering if I can try using it with this board and fin and how would it feel?
Thanks

http://ycc-windsurf.web.cern.ch/ycc-...to6_staand.jpg

steveC 29th November 2006 08:35 AM

RE: Mistral Naish 8'11 - any experiences?

Hi letik,

While I can't talk from experience actually sailing the board, it comes before width started playing an influenial role in shorter boards. Because of its narrower planform, I would really question the viabiltiy of 8.0 sai, even at your weight. My guess of the board's sail size limit is probably 7.0-7.2, and that might be on the generous side. However, sails in the 6.5-6.8 range might be a more suitable conservative upper limit to consider. If I recollect correctly, the board represented Mistral/Naish's largest light wind wave design of the time, but with a rockerline that tended to be bit flatter than a pure wave board to give it some speed and blasting ability. I hope this helps some. Maybe those who spent some time with the board can offer a more specific background about the board.

steveC 29th November 2006 08:35 AM

Hi letik,

While I can't talk from experience actually sailing the board, it comes before width started playing an influenial role in shorter boards. Because of its narrower planform, I would really question the viabiltiy of 8.0 sai, even at your weight. My guess of the board's sail size limit is probably 7.0-7.2, and that might be on the generous side. However, sails in the 6.5-6.8 range might be a more suitable conservative upper limit to consider. If I recollect correctly, the board represented Mistral/Naish's largest light wind wave design of the time, but with a rockerline that tended to be bit flatter than a pure wave board to give it some speed and blasting ability. I hope this helps some. Maybe those who spent some time with the board can offer a more specific background about the board.

GEM 29th November 2006 09:55 AM

You can probably squeeze a 7.5 if it's light. Steve is right, though, it's pre-wide style.
Positives: very fast, nice jibing when powered up, good jumping ability.
Negatives: less stable, doesn't tolerate bad footwork, very fragile.
For moderate wind, I really like this board as narrow-style boards go.

I use my 8'7" more as a pure wave board, and in fact the dimensions are similar to an Acid 7x (leaving rocker / rail out of it). I've ridden the 8'7" (which is substantially smaller) with a 6.5 and it's OK but really likes to be more powered up and I prefer riding it in 5.5 - 4.0; never really pushed the upper limit of an 8'11" since it was borrowed. Definitely a 7.0, probably 7.5, I doubt it'll be good with an 8.0.

Another board I really liked of that vintage / series was the Naish Fish. They were all great riders, but light and fragile.

Nathan 1st December 2006 04:20 AM

Love It, the board was and still is fun to ride
I've still got mine (although it has been repaired a few times ) and use it regularly.

Biggest sail i use is a 6.6 and JP fin 29cm. At the time of release on the market the recommended max sail size was 7.5 minimum sail size 5.0

Nathan

letik 1st December 2006 11:49 PM

Nathan, thanks! I wonder what will happen if I put my
datona 8.0 (very light rig) on it and let's say 37 cm JP
freeride/carve fin. What's the maximum fin size you can use
with it?
My board is actually almost new and was only used several times
before i got it. The nose worries me if hit with a boom! :)

Thanks

Windman 6th December 2006 06:32 AM

Goor morning, Letik,

That whole series of boards were produced with a very thin nose and many of them suffered dings and worse. As a suggestion, you might get the longest mast protector available, then fit it upside down, just below the boom. Hopefully its length will cover the nose area that has been a problem.

Would have to say though, that the swing weight of a 7.5/8.0 is pretty high and the board's nose is thin, so........

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Windman

GEM 6th December 2006 07:24 AM

In fact, I dinged the nose of my board several times, never in a launch, but always when the wind died and schlogging in bobbing water I just fell off and the mast dinged the nose when it hit the board. Afther the 2nd or 3rd time, I bit the bullet and simply reinforced the nose of the board a little. It's so light, I never really notice the added weight. But that's how fragile it is. Very fragile, and I don't think the biggest possible rig is a great idea. I think a 7.0 would be the biggest I'd ride on it.

zots 6th December 2006 11:09 AM

Try the thing yourself!!!!:p

n1kl05 6th December 2006 04:42 PM

Hi,
I used to have an 8 11 and liked it but it has some weaknesses.
I have to say that I live in Hungary/Central Europe and mainly used that board on lakes with 2-4 ft high waves/chops and that one was my only board therefore I used it with quite wide sail range (4.7 to 6.7).
Yes, it`s fast and jumps well but got very nervous in overpowered conditions. It carried my largest sail (NP diablo 6.7) pretty ok though I didn`t feel it ideal to this board. I`d recomment to use it with a 6 or so.
The original fin (as far as I remember it was a 27cm Naish FR) is not the best one. Got spin out easily and had very bad upwind ability. I changed it to a bigger Maui FR (31cm) and it was much better and helped the large sail size also.

It is FRAGILE. I managed to crash it`s nose at the first time on the water and had to have it repaired.

I decided to change it to a Kombat 95 and buy a bigger one (120 Xcite) for lighter days. These 2 gives me better coverage on windy days here and have better characteristics.

Laszlo