Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Companion boards for Evo 75 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7569)

Unregistered 1st November 2009 04:12 AM

Companion boards for Evo 75

I am a relative lightweight at 62Kg. I am lucky that I am completly impressed with the performance of my xtv evo 75. If I only needed one board to jump,gybe in a wide variety of conditions it surely would be it. Sails 5.2,4.7,4.2,37 plus a somewhat superfluos [6.1]

However, I am not completly happy with my companion boards
I have a 06 acid 80 which i picked up .....for cross-off light winds. However the evo 75 appears easier to tack and is lighter and i am dubious as to whether the smoothness of the acid down the line outweighs this drawback.
I have a JP 69 RWW when it gets rougher - I do notice sometimes the evo is a bit big when powered up. The disadvantage with the JP is that it sags off in any lulls - and it is much less forgiving when gybing.

I had a JP FSW 78 previously - and whilst this was good for cross-on conditions - the ride was too directional and hard under the feet compared to the evo - so its gone.

I am seeking an alternative to the acid - ? big board which will take a 6.1 and I can tack easily. [evo 80,90 ?]

Would a quad 71 full-fill the cross-on and powered up days where the 75 evo is too big ?

Thanks

Colin

Ola_H 3rd November 2009 03:21 AM

The Acid 80 is in practice not a lot "easier" than the EVO 75 despite having a few liters more. SO I'm not surprised you feel it is a bit redundant. If you like the EVo 75 so much, yes, the EVO 80 would provide a similar feel but feel significantly bigger. I very much doubt you would gain anything by going for the EVO 90 at your weight.

On the smaller side, The Quad71 would overlap very, very much with the EVO 75. It will be easier in high wind though. Personally I think the Quads are even more cross on friendly than the EVOs. If you get the E80 and Q71, chances are you will sell the E75.

If you want to keep the E75 too, I would rather go for the Quad66. At your weight its still an easy board to use. I think you will simply be amazed by how much easier it is to sail in high wind when you have a board in this size. With say a powered up 4.7 I don't think you will plane noticeably later with the Q66 than with the Q71 (or E75 either for that matter). The 66 is a really effective little board.

Unregistered 4th November 2009 04:08 AM

Thanks for that indeed. I will put the quad 71 at the top of the wishlist. The performance with the 5.2 sail or in gusty conditions will decide if I need the evo 75 still. Would love the kudos of a 66 board [much like the 69!] but i suspect I would get more value with the 71.

It would be a feat to cover all options with only 2 boards. But the prospect does appeal - especially if the quad delivers in the cross-on as you say.

Colin

Ola_H 4th November 2009 02:30 PM

To get an even wider range out of the Quad 71 (and 66) you should also order a set of smaller front fins (13cm). That will soften the board up in hard and hectic conditions.

Get back with a report of you buy the board. It's always nice to hear what people think about it.