Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Question for Remi IS 111 vs futura (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7967)

eli villalabeitia 7th January 2010 07:13 AM

Question for Remi IS 111 vs futura

I am sailing Formula experience though in high wind condition I want to get a second board for 15 to 25 knts were FE starts to get hairy, I am 80kgs. The second condition is that I will share this board with my son, 50 kg and 15 years old, this would be his light wind board for lakes,with sails up to 7,2 . For high wind I use kode 102 and my son evo 75.

question one, will the ISonic 111 09 with two fins a good option for both
question 2 , Will the Futura 111 or 122 be an early planning board compared with the IS 111, I guess the IS is more techinical but not that different compared to FE.
Finally which one would be better going upwind

Thanks for your help
Eli

Remi 7th January 2010 08:46 AM

Hi eli,

Looks like that the isonic 111 will be the good one for you and your son, but you didn t tell me about the sails that you will use on this board

All the best

elivillalabeitia 7th January 2010 10:54 PM

Thank Remi, my son will be using 6,5 naish all terrain and 7,2 NP jet, as for me 8,5 severne element and need to get a decent 7,5 any suggestions?, I am not looking for racing.
My son is not using cambered sails as he is more comfortable with not much weight on the sails

Ken 8th January 2010 03:32 AM

Eli,

I was in the same position as you, I had a formula 160 and a HiFly 105 move and wanted to fill in the gap with something in between. I weigh 79 kg. I do race, both formula and slalom (slalom occasionally). I am an amateur, age 64, but I have been racing for 25 years.

I picked the '08 iS 111, but seriously considered the Futura 111. The occasional slalom race pushed me to the iS. I haven't sailed a Futura, but from what I have read, it is more user friendly, a smoother ride and just about as fast as the iS.

The iS is fast, but it's a pretty rough ride when powered with my 6.6. A little smoother with my 7.6 and comfortable with my 8.4 if there is enough power. Slogging with the 8.4 is tough and a little difficult. The board wants to point up and it's hard to keep it off the wind or on a beam reach. Since there is little floatation in the nose, it's hard to push it off the wind in 5-10 knots. Not a sinker, but not a lot of floatation either. Uphauling is pretty easy with my 6.6 and 7.6 sails, but a little more difficult with my 8.4.

The iS will plane a bit sooner because of the wider tail, but probably not much different. It has outboard straps similar to the formula and it's a little difficult to get onto the back straps since they are so close to the rail.

I have gone over 30 knots (board speed on my gps) on both the iS and the HiFly. The HiFly is much more comfortable and less scary, but the iS is a little faster (1 knot).

All my sails from 6.6 up are Maui Sails TR race sails.

Formula 160 - 11.0, 9.2, 8.4 sails
iS 111 - 8.4, 7.6, 6.6 sails
HiFly 105 - 5.7, 5.0, 4.5 sails

In my opinion, if you like the challenge of mastering a full on slalom board - go for the iS. If you are looking for something more traditional and more user friendly, go for the Futura.

elivillalabeitia 8th January 2010 08:55 AM

thanks Ken I read your post on sailing statistics , i got some inspirtaion from there I saw that your most used boards are formula and IS 111, as you said Futura is more comfortable I had 133 before the FE and sold it because the range was to close to FE. I think I will try the IS, apart from the what you mentioned they said the board is very stable when power up.
Thank again
Eli

elivillalabeitia 11th January 2010 04:46 PM

queston for Ken

Ken a question for you; I took the challenge and bought the IS 111, sailed it yesterday, your description of the board is very accurate.
First, I sailed in very gusty conditions and 15 to 18knots, 7,2 camless sail and 44"fin. It felt very stable and plane very nice tough you canīt step on the nose and the board insist to go upwind, no matter what, and I am used in short boarding to push the nose away with my front foot and hanging down, but the nose is so sensitive to pressure. Whatīs your technique for start planning and pushing the board on a beam reach so you get planning a bit more easily.
Thank you again
Eli

Ken 11th January 2010 09:38 PM

Eli,

Really no different than a standard board, just more sensitive. To keep the board on a beam reach or to bear off a bit in slogging wind, you still have to move/tilt the rig forward with the front foot near the mast. A little more care has to be taken compared to a board with more flotation in the nose, but it is still the same process. I don't think hanging in the harness helps with turning the board off the wind, this will add too much weight on the front of the board.

Once the board's nose is at least 100 degrees off the wind, you can pump if necessary to get on plane.

Be careful that you don't sheet in too much trying to add power if the wind is too light. This heads the board upwind quickly and you will stall.

It just takes a little time to get comfortable with how this board handles. Also, the larger and heavier the rig, the greater the problems if you are slogging or in light winds.

Stick with it, it won't be long before you figure it out.

elivillalabeitia 11th January 2010 11:23 PM

Thank you Ken I was able to plane yesterday, the problem was that i had put the rig practically in front of me every time i wanted to plane, once from there start to sheet in, on the other side I though that the fin, 44, was to big for the sail 7,2 without cambers, any way I realize that with more practice probably it will be better
Thanks Ken
Eli

willy 12th January 2010 08:14 AM

Hi Eli, i had an IS 111 too but switched to a 101 due to my 70 kilos, what i learnt
from Isonics is that they like cambered sails the most, with a cambered sail you get on plane sooner as cambers get you going forward more easy so you don't have to force the board too much downwind. In four/five sessions you'll get dialed with it. Well done downgrading the fin. Just my 2 cts.

BelSkorpio 12th January 2010 06:05 PM

Recently, I've bought myself an isonic 101 of 2009. Coudn't try it out yet, much too cold. I'm real curious about that thing with cambered versus non-cambered sails. I have a 7.5 cambered V8 of NP and a 6.3 non-cambered free-ride sail that I want to use on it. Many people already told me to get a new 6.x cambered race sail for it. No one can exactly explain why that is. Well soon I will find out. :)