Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Quad 76 or 71 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8275)

xander 3rd March 2010 02:32 PM

Quad 76 or 71

Hello,

I know this question has been asked a bunch of times, but even after reading all the various responses I still can't figure out whether I should go for the quad 76 or 71?

I will be using the board for California Coast sailing. We have a combination of small to big mushy side shore beach break and up to logo / mast high clean point side shore conditions. Mostly I will be sailing in slightly over head high clean side shore point break conditions with a bit of a slog out to the wind line. My quiver is 5.3 / 4.7 / 4.2. By far the 4.7 is used most. I am 70 - 72 kgs dry.

I am getting better at wavesailing as I'm now linking turns and getting aerials. I'm a pretty aggressive sailor who crashes quite a lot. Basically I have moments where I really rip and many more moments where I am an absolute KOOK. I sailed last years 75l Evo in Maui. The size felt very good for a 4.7 / 5.3 and a little bit big for fully powered 4.7.

I want to buy one board that can do it all. I'd probably prefer to go with the 76 to ensure that it works well when its a bit marginal and that it will be easy to tack and slog. But I also wonder if since I've heard that Starboard underquotes volume I may be just fine slogging the 71 which will be better for powered up 4.7 and bigger conditions. I must also add that the fins on the 71 look a bit weird to me where they seem to look more natural on the fish tail of the 76. Don't know why. THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Ola_H 4th March 2010 01:33 AM

The 76 is a bigger in real life (volume) but the 71 is rather close. But compared to the EVOs, the Quad 71 still is more effective in marginal conditions do to the fins providing better upwind and planing power. It works rather well with 5.3 I would say (and I'm your weight). The 76 is an awesome board, but for me it's more for underpowered 4.7 and lighter. When you're powered up or the waves are fast, it's just too much board, I reckon. So for what you describe, I think the 71 is clearly the best choice.

xander 4th March 2010 08:49 AM

Ola,

Thanks for the feedback.

One of the things that I'm puzzled about its that a selling point for multi fin boards has been that you can sail a bigger board than a single fin and still get better on-wave performance. Of course the benefits of sailing a floatier board are earlier planning, easier to slog, and ease in getting over whitewater.

But it seems that if I should be looking at the 71 the this is not the case with the quad and that the old sizing rules still apply? This would appear to negate one of the best arguments for multi fins - in my opinion.

Or maybe the 71's actual volume closer to 75 liters? I suspect this may be the case??

I should add that I have not sailed a multi fin board so for me its all a matter of theory and whatever information / misinformation I have gotten on-line.

Thanks again - I really appreciate your honest feedback.

Ola_H 4th March 2010 01:58 PM

The info I got was that the 71 is tank measured at 72 liters. As for sizing and multi fins, I think that only twin fin boards can truly be "oversized" for real wave sailing but pretty much all multi fins handle more wind in straight line sailing than a comparable single fin .

In other words, for performance wave sailing I don't think tri fin or a quad really should be sailed bigger (wider) than a comparable single. There are some brands whose quads are really thick and then you will off course get more volume per width and hence you can ride a bigger volume board, but in my opinion, adding volume along the center like that will actually create a significantly more unstable board when slogging (and that kind of volume only help at absolute standstill when you in fact sink). Starboard generally use rather flat decks and low volume relative the width.

Talking about the Quad71, its in fact pretty very similar to the 07 and 09 EVO 70. All those boards are excellent slogger relative their volume and they stay super stable and easy in semi-submarin mode (the only better board at this was the 09 ET70 which at a real 72 liter was just unbelievable in super light wind).

xander 5th March 2010 12:27 AM

Thanks again Ola. Do you also know the measured volume for the 76?

Ola_H 5th March 2010 12:04 PM

I believe it's 79 liters.

xander 7th March 2010 03:05 AM

Ola, thanks for the info. This helps alot. I'm very close to purchasing a 71.
Can you also give some feedback on advantages / disadvantages of the wood carbon vs the wood convertible. With a weight difference of .34kg it seems like it might be worth having a single fin option for the odd occassion that I use the board for b&j. But I prefer things kind of simple with my gear and don't really see myself fiddling around with lots of fin options. That is unless it really is like getting two boards in one!