Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Kevin`s Corner (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   futura 93 for speed (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8287)

jasoncatchpowle 4th March 2010 02:09 PM

futura 93 for speed

i have recently got a futura 93 08 ,i'm tired of doing tricks and stuff like that so i want to go really fast, i have no problems gybing they are near 100% fully planing most of the time, i have just got a seat harness as well as 30 32 and 34 slalom fins and have set the straps outboard in the middle hole with the mast track in the 'recomended' position i'll be using 5.7 and 6.5 rotational sails but may be getting 5.2 and 6.4 twin cam sails do you recommend anything that will help make this board fly i'm 63 kilos and 6.1 ish i dont mind having it set up where it is hard to gybe

i also am a bit of a freestyler and like the odd vulcan, will be attemting flaka's soon(bit off the point)
any words of wisdom would be most helpfull:):):):):)

jason,WA

Kevin Pritchard 18th March 2010 01:08 AM

Jason,

try putting in a Debiochet fin and that board will smoke!

kp

NWF 17th April 2010 11:21 PM

What fin would you suggest?

agrelon 18th April 2010 08:53 PM

I'de like to know too as I'm looking for a super good fin for my Futura 93l, with my 5.8m.

I've been derecommended Select S07 as apparently it doesn't work very well with the Futura...

Kevin Pritchard 6th May 2010 11:29 AM

I would try either a Kone 34 with the futura 93. I would also recomend a 34 SL4 if top end speed is your ultimate goal. But since you are going for the vulcans then go with the Kone.

jasoncatchpowle 18th May 2010 07:17 PM

ive got a 2010 severne overdrive 6.7 (3-cam) to go with my futura 93 i also got mfc sl2 30, 32 ,34 so far i think ive hit over 30 kts on my local flat patch of speed perfection in around 20 knots of wind, with the 30cm fin. i think on a really good day i could hit 35 knots. i have to say that the pure joy of just blasting is sereously underated, all dedicated freestylers and wavesailors should go try it one day and they will rediscover the true fun of blasting.going along at 25 kts then bearing away into a carve gybe and screeching round the corner, racing your mates, feeling the effortless speed of some race gear. its just unbeatable-go try it again!!! i have a kode 86 for my freestyle by the way and then a 62ltr evo for 22 knts upwards in waves. i was also wondering now i have a freeslalom sail maybe a isonic 86 would be more suitable-acording to the catalogue it can carry a 7 metre all info would be great
cheers
Jason Catchpowle, WA

Kevin Pritchard 19th May 2010 05:06 AM

Jason,

The Isonic will definately drive you faster.. IF you are going for speed, go with the Isonic 86 and put in that MFC SL2 34 and you will be ripping it up.

jasoncatchpowle 15th July 2010 01:40 AM

an isonic 86 definately seems like a nice board to get. i had a go on some french guys RRD x-fire 80 which is a 54cm wide slalom/speed crossover with a 6.7 neilpryde RS(4-cam). As soon as i got on the plane i noticed just how quickly the board accelerates and the incredible top end speed the thing could get. but what surprised me so much was the fact that the RRD and my futura 93 had very similar bottom end performance, despite the futura being aroun 5 cm wider than the RRD. the RRD just seemed to be so much more controlled through the chop and feel so light.
if the isonic 86 has the same qaulitys as rhe RRD x-fire then i might have a proper consider whether this is the dream board!!!!!!!!!!!!!
btw i have a 6.7 and 7.5 overdrive and may possibly be getting a 6.0
futura 93
futura 111
tushingham rocks 4.2,4.7,5.2,5.7
tushingham storm 6.5(semi retired)
severne overdrive(6.0) 6.7,7.5

jasoncatchpowle 16th July 2010 03:01 AM

just another question with my sails at the moment what would the best two board quiver be out of the is86 slim ,is86 ,is94 ,is101 ,is111
sails are 6.7 and 7.5 with a possibility of getting a 6.0 all 3-cam

Todd Hume 24th July 2010 06:43 AM

The 93 is a freaking awesome board! I love that it has got all that speed yet remains so composed when taken out in the gnarly shit. I sail it almost exclusively with a 7.0 Naish Grand Prix. They are a stunning match. I love sailing overpowered out at our local cross-on spot. Take all that top end speed and then go searching for the biggest ramps out there. There will be no one who is boosting higher! Killer board!

The fin is critical. I've tried a heap. An upright fin lowers the angle of attack of the board and also provides and bit more upwind drive. Perfect for flat water speed. A swept freeride style fin has a tad slower top end but lifts to nose a touch and provides heaps more control if its gnarly. I definitely find them the faster way to go in the rough.

The biggest fin i run is a 36 Techtonics Maui. This is great for lighter winds and upwind missions but gets to be a bit of a handful when it starts to pick up (i weigh 67kgs). This would be a stunner for speed in a smaller size.

I've got a MFC K-One FR 34, which is beautiful fin (much better than their Liquid Pro imho) but is still a little big for me in the heavy stuff (they don't do a 32 yet, though they should!). The MFC SL2 is a sweet fin too. I've sailed the futura93 with the 32. It felt a bit small for all round sailing with my 7.0. If i was to buy one of these i'd go for the 34.

My favorite fin, however, has got to be the WhiteWater Ride 32. It is really fast (my mate clocked 32knots on one the first time he sailed one) and has amazing control when overpowered in big seas. Excellent grip. Super predictable. Really easy to pull back in if you push it too far. It is bloody hard to get hold of these things though.

Then for super flat water and stupid amounts of wind i've got a 28cm elliptical blade. This fin opens up the top end wind range by a good 5 knots over the top of a 32 but requires more skill to sail and is definitely slower if i'm not massively overpowered. I don't use this fin that much.

A crap fin sucks. There is nothing worst than a fin unpredictably spinning out for no good reason. Life is too short to sail crap fins.

Todd