Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   EASYUPHAUL tool (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8531)

joe_windsurfer 3rd April 2010 09:14 PM

EASYUPHAUL tool

hello:

i have purchased a 10.0 and someone suggested easyuphaul "tool"
do people actually use this ??
and if so, i imagine it helps the back a lot ??

thx

Roger 4th April 2010 07:19 AM

Hi Joe,
What mast are you using for your 10.0 m2 sail.
A higher carbon/lighter weight mast might help also.
The Easy- Uphaul is not a "tool".
It's simply an uphaul "system" with another loop part way up the
uphaul line that allows you to hook the uphaul on your harness and
simply leam back to bring your big sail out of the water.
Lot's of semi pro racers who use big sails also use the Easy Uphaul.
Hope this helps,

Windman 4th April 2010 09:09 AM

Hi, Joe,

Thoroughly recommended by me. Started to use it on my 9.8 then got one for my 8.5. It completely breaks the suction of the water on the sail during light-wind uphauls. Totally overcomes back-strain. Hope this helps.

agrelon 4th April 2010 09:43 AM

I home made one by attaching an additional piece of uphaul rope about 2/3 down the normal uphaul. On this extension I tied a stainless steel loop, same sort of diameter as a tennis ball. With a bit of height adjustment I've gotten it about right.

Because I'm using it on a smaller, yet heave, race sail, 5.8 the time for which I can sit back once hooked in to pull up is slightly limited. But it feels really good just pulling on your harness to get the sail out of the water/empty the luff sleeve.

I think official ones are going for 30-40 USD so I decided to build one to give it a go. Definitely worth while on a bigger sail and I can't wait to use it for my 7.5 (also cambered and heavy).

vikingsail 4th April 2010 10:42 AM

Have them on all my booms. I have a back issue and when I have to uphaul it helps me keep my back straight by using my weight instead of bending over and using my muscles.

Philip 4th April 2010 02:14 PM

Use the EasyUphaul for cambered race sails with a seat harness. It certainly works from not being able to uphaul when the luff sleeve is full with water, and waves conspiring to keep the whole lot down there, to now being able to float the sail and steer the whole plot while getting it together for the next run and splash! Highly recommended.

Remi 4th April 2010 02:25 PM

Hi All,

The new Race Up Haul from Star-Board help a lot to reduce back painfull, no need anymore to stress your back but jsut use your weight to up haul the sail.

All the best

joe_windsurfer 5th April 2010 06:00 AM

hello:

i do know it is not a "tool" :-)
someone called it as such and thought it redundant to say easyuphaul uphaul :)
am using a 10.0 with a luff of 536 on a 520/100% mast
as a race type sail with double luff it weighs 7.5 kilos !!
so, 30 to 40 dollars versus a sore back ?
sounds like an easy decision
i have had issues in big winds with 8.5 already, so ....
will try without, but intend to investigate availability n cost here

thank you all very much !!!!

eric b 125 5th April 2010 09:40 AM

does the easy uphaul work well with waist harness'?

Windman 7th April 2010 05:04 AM

Hi, Eric,

I also use the Easyuphaul on my 7.5/waist harness combo. I didn't include the info previously because I thought that most people wanted the info when they used BIG sails.

I don't use a waist harness on my 8.5/9.8 sails, so can't comment.

Hope this helps.