Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Futura, Carve or iSonic for heavy sailor (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8596)

marekk 10th April 2010 09:59 PM

Futura, Carve or iSonic for heavy sailor

Hi,

I'm heavy (110-115 kg) sailor on beginer - intermediate skill: I'm planing in straps (but not perfect) with harness, tack, jibe etc. Up to now I have used Go 175, on lake with winds 5-15 knots (max 25). Now I bought Formula HWR for sailing on this spot and looking for board to sailing on spot on a bay with better windy conditions (10-30 knots), flatwater or chop (depend on wind direction). What is the best choice for me - Futura, Carve or iSonic? I like fast sailing and in future, I think, jumping on chop, but no wave or freestyle. Which volume will the best for my weight?

Marek

agrelon 10th April 2010 11:02 PM

Definitely type wise I would go for a Futura, as you like to go fast. For your size I think a Futura 133 would be quite good, and probably jumpable. Board choice also depends a lot on the sail sizes you plan to use. I'm almost 60kg and a Futura 93 is enough volume for me, can tack and do none planning jibes no problem.

marekk 11th April 2010 12:03 AM

I have sails: 6,4, 8,0, 9,5 and 11,4 (for formula), but can buy a new one. But I'm affraid 133 l is not enough for me, it is less than my + gear weight.

Marek

Chris Pressler 12th April 2010 03:10 AM

Hi Marrek,
guess itīs hard to find a board, which fits 6,4 and 8,0. 133 is a good choice. It fits perfect for the 8,0 and perhaps you have fun on the 6,4. For the light wind and the two bigger sizes you have the Formula board.
Would recommend you the get a light version of the Futura 133, so it will be easy to learn jumping.

Have fun,
Chris

PG 12th April 2010 11:43 AM

For your 115 kg a 133 liter board will definitively be a sinker. That is, very hard to do anything but water starts, especially with an 8 m2 sail and intermediate skills.

If you need the board to float you then you need at least +30 liters (140-145 litres), but that still means wet feet when pulling a big sail. With +40 liter you will be comfortably dry in the rigg pulling phase.

joe_windsurfer 13th April 2010 03:46 AM

at what sailor weight does the 133 stop bein a sinker ?

100 kilos ??

thx

marekk 13th April 2010 05:40 AM

We need sum up: rig and other gear (approx. 15 kg) + our weight (i.e. 115 kg) + board weight (i.e. 8 kg) = 138 kg. If board volume is bigger, it float. If it has less volume, be a sinker. But if sailor can do waterstart and load board just on move - can sail on smaller one.

marekk 13th April 2010 05:52 AM

Please don't forget about main question of this thread: what is real difference between this three boards. Of course I think about freeride (and a very little wave) fun for heavy sailor, not technical differences. Volume of boards is important mainly for different shape (and width), because i can do waterstarts.

agrelon 13th April 2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG (Post 40314)
For your 115 kg a 133 liter board will definitively be a sinker. That is, very hard to do anything but water starts, especially with an 8 m2 sail and intermediate skills.

If you need the board to float you then you need at least +30 liters (140-145 litres), but that still means wet feet when pulling a big sail. With +40 liter you will be comfortably dry in the rigg pulling phase.

This is most definitely true. I'm 57kg now and uphauling my 93l Futura my feet are wet. Which means that at twice my weight you would need twice the volume I'm using to get the same buoyancy, ie. 180l.

agrelon 13th April 2010 11:52 AM

If you want speed and are sure that you will always have some power in the sail (ie. 10 knots up) then the iSonic/Futura 133 would be ok. If the wind sometimes drops under that maybe the iSonic 144 would be better as it's almost the same shape as the 133, only with additional volume.