Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   122l Futura able to carry 9.0m2 Code Red? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8659)

plaining_exits 19th April 2010 05:24 PM

122l Futura able to carry 9.0m2 Code Red?

Hello,

I'm considering buying a big sail for my Starboard Futura 122l, 2008 model. One options is a 9.0m2 Severne Code Red. Do you think the board is able to carry the sail? I'm an intermediate level rider, weight 75kg. Intend to use the sail with my Select SRX Freerace fin, 46cm.

Thanks in advance for help!

PG 20th April 2010 11:40 AM

A 9.0 sail on the Futura 122 will definitively overpower it. It might have worked if you would be 10 kg lighter, but now I do think you will get better performance out of a smaller sail (still bigger than 8.0, maybe an 8.5 woould do?).

plaining_exits 20th April 2010 01:26 PM

Thanks for your answer PG. But I wonder why Starboard markets the range as 5.5-9.0m2 then, if 9.0 will definitively overpower the board? Also, 9.0m2 will definitively overpower, but 8,5m2 might work out? Is it really so "exact science"?

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just trying to understand. Wonder if anybody around my weight has actually tried the combination? Do you have first hand experience?

Thanks in advance for help in my mission to get planing a little bit earlier...

agrelon 20th April 2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaining_exits (Post 40501)
Hello,

I'm considering buying a big sail for my Starboard Futura 122l, 2008 model. One options is a 9.0m2 Severne Code Red. Do you think the board is able to carry the sail? I'm an intermediate level rider, weight 75kg. Intend to use the sail with my Select SRX Freerace fin, 46cm.

Thanks in advance for help!

Currently, what's the biggest sail you're using with it?

plaining_exits 20th April 2010 01:59 PM

The biggest sail that I'm currently using with the board is a 7.5m2 Severne Gator.

LK 20th April 2010 02:03 PM

I canít see why a 9,0 should overpower the board. It is in the boards sail range and you are a light weight.
The fin choice looks OK too. For a 100 kg rider it would be on the edge, but with your 75 kg it is fine.

Cheers
FU 111 and FU 144

kennatt 20th April 2010 02:09 PM

the 122 i have will take an 8.5 easily (90 k),but the 9m code red is a heavy sail and probably at the limit of uphauling ability for me but you may get away with it at 75k still enough volumn. That would be the only issue, if there is wind then the board will take a 9metre.I tried a 9.5 severne twin cam on it and whilst it sails ok with the track forwards and a bigger fin,Just feels too big.I found the best set up was with my 7.7 code red.cheers

plaining_exits 20th April 2010 03:09 PM

Thanks for comments everybody. LK and kennatt, you sound like you have some experience on the subject? Actually, I found an older post, where kennatt said that "9 meter full cam race sail" worked "just about ok" for him on a similar board... maybe me being 15k lighter would help here? This is actually quite in line what LK said... Also, isn't the code red supposed to be a light sail, or is it just "light feel"?

Supposed the 9.0m2 sail is too big for the board: what does it mean/how does it feel? More difficult to uphaul? More difficult to sail?

thx

agrelon 20th April 2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaining_exits (Post 40551)
Thanks for comments everybody. LK and kennatt, you sound like you have some experience on the subject? Actually, I found an older post, where kennatt said that "9 meter full cam race sail" worked "just about ok" for him on a similar board... maybe me being 15k lighter would help here? This is actually quite in line what LK said... Also, isn't the code red supposed to be a light sail, or is it just "light feel"?

Supposed the 9.0m2 sail is too big for the board: what does it mean/how does it feel? More difficult to uphaul? More difficult to sail?

thx

I think one problem is that you increase the sail size, and therefore increase the fin size, but the width of the board remains the same. Ie. the width of the board might not give you sufficient leverage over the ideal fin for this sail size, and therefore the board might be tiring to sail/ keep under control.

Other than that, I'm not sure (and would also like to know) what the "symptoms" are of using too big a sail size for a certain board.

plaining_exits 21st April 2010 02:48 AM

I was thinking, it would really be great to get a comment from a Star-Board representative: what exactly does the upper limit 9.0m2 in sail range mean for 122l Futura (as an example). What sailor weight and ability, sail type etc... how should those ranges be understood.

So, SB people, please speak up!

and thanks in advance...