Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Apollo Vs F161 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9)

Pacs 16th August 2006 05:12 PM

Apollo Vs F161

Hi all,

Fantastic 2007 range and nice new website!
-----------

Perhaps does the binomial (Apollo, F161) represent an alternative in the future of the FW?

These two models have different purpose? or only are for diferents conditions?

Traditionally, the board with more witdth and more liters were for heavier sailors and/or little wind... but, Apollo is less voluminous, longer ... what innovation hides the design of the hull that makes it work better with heavy sailors and/or low wind?

Perhaps is the Apollo thought for a more recreative/weekend use?

It is less technical / physical?

Thanks a lot!

Francisco

oddvar 17th August 2006 03:13 PM

RE: Apollo Vs F161

I can se that the Apollo has a 75 cm fin, will this be allowed for in FW?
It says in the text that it will be permitted to race in FW class?

aus404 17th August 2006 04:44 PM

And where does the 95 CM wide Isonic fit in here? That sounds aufully like a formla board to me...

barks 17th August 2006 05:34 PM

Quote:

aus404 wrote:
And where does the 95 CM wide Isonic fit in here? That sounds aufully like a formla board to me...
To replace the F-Types for a fast low-wind ride without the up/downwind commited stance/trim of formula. It does make sense to me to morph the F-Types into the iSonic range that way.

Jean-Marc 17th August 2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

oddvar wrote:
I can se that the Apollo has a 75 cm fin, will this be allowed for in FW?
No. FW class rules limit fin up to a lenght of 70 cm.

Quote:

It says in the text that it will be permitted to race in FW class?
Yes, the board is FW class-legal, providing you will use a 70 cm fin...

Cheers !

JM

barks 17th August 2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Jean-Marc wrote:
Yes, the board is FW class-legal, providing you will use a 70 cm fin...

Cheers !

JM
It will be interesting to see how much of the claimed low-wind performance can be accredited to the board shape and how much to the 75cm and probably very powerful fin, i.e. how well the Apollo will do in an actual low-wind FW race.

Remi 17th August 2006 06:52 PM

Hi All,

The Apollo is deliver with a 75 fin, but can be used in Formula event with a 70cm.

To compare the F161 and Apollo, we can say that the Apollo it's special light wind machine and the F 161 is for all conditions.

The Apollo is beating the F 161 in light wind, it's our proposal to the olympic game for 2012.

All the best

Hardie 17th August 2006 07:12 PM

I'm looking for a light wind board, and am interested in the Apollo, Phantom, and iSonic 155.

I am 90 kilos+, do my light wind sailing in shallow water Estuary, or reef infested ocean, so will need to have a shallow water fin or raked weed. The Appollo looks ruled out bec of 75cm fin, geuss it wouldn't work with a 42cm shallow water fin?

The other thing is I like reaching, not so crazy about an upwind, downwind machine.

I prefer to sail with my 8.5 mt Ezzy Infinity, but can use my 9.5 mt formula sail.

Some advice please.

barks 17th August 2006 07:13 PM

Remi (or other SB people who have sailed it): At what wind speed does the Apollo's light wind edge even out compared to the F161?

Remi 17th August 2006 07:20 PM

Hi Hardie,

I never try this kind of fins on a Formula boards and Apollo. I don't think that will work.

This board are interest with a minimum of 11m and 70cm fin.

Seems that you are interest by freeriding in light wind, so the iS 155 must be beter for you with your sails.

All the best