Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Extra Fins for F-Type 158 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=901)

pa10 5th January 2007 04:33 PM

Extra Fins for F-Type 158

Grettings to all and Happy New Year.

I currently have an F-Type 158 with V8 9.8 for light wind sailing. I really enjoyed last season and increased my time on water.

However, I am thinking of buying a couple of fins to add to the standard Drake 64cm and extend the wind range of the board. My weight is 100Kg and I am looking for a fin to really work best in the lightest of winds (70 or bigger) , and another one for stronger winds (52-56cm).

My focus is not on racing performance (points high angles etc) just early planning and easy performane on a straight line.

Q1. What would you propose? I read that the R19 is soft and thus, the one for light wind choice, but would that be OK for someone who is not a pro?

Q2. What is the S or M initials next to the R# name of the fins?

Q3. What is the effect of fin rake on the sailing?

Q4. What are the characteristics of the supplied Drake 64cm (soft, stiff etc)? What is its equivalent on the Decoichet line?

Thanks in advance,

Panos

pa10 9th January 2007 07:32 PM

RE: Extra Fins for F-Type 158

Any answers yet?
Ian, Remi?

Finn 9th January 2007 09:25 PM

Jepp, also I am interested in these questions as I am now having a NP 10,6 sail for my F-type and for that combo is seeking a god fin.

All the best

Finn

kimax 25th February 2007 11:07 PM

I'm joining those questions. I'm about to buy F-Type 158 and Gaastra GTX 10.5. Is standard 64cm fin enough or do I also need a bigger fin for lightest winds?

o2bnme 26th February 2007 02:30 AM

I'm 65kg and have an F-Type 148.

When I want to maximize early planing, I put on a 70cm fin and a 9.8m2 V8.

mark h 26th February 2007 06:07 AM

Hi pa10
Q1. What would you propose? I read that the R19 is soft and thus, the one for light wind choice, but would that be OK for someone who is not a pro?

A: Any 70cm will improve ultra light wind performance. As the tail width of the F-Type 158 is over 73cm, it should be fine, even the most powerfull 70cm fins will work with your9.8m sail I.E. Deb R19, C3 Bravo etc.

Q2. What is the S or M initials next to the R# name of the fins?

A: The "S" stands for soft, the "M" stands for medium etc. Soft means its more responsive to pump as it more flexible. A "Stiff" fin cuts through chop better than a "Soft" fin and a medium is kind of a compromise.

Q3. What is the effect of fin rake on the sailing?

A: Forward rake increases the power and pointing ability of a fin and would normally be geared towards the lower-end. Less rake is geared more towards top-end and usually gives higher speeds.

Q4. What are the characteristics of the supplied Drake 64cm (soft, stiff etc)? What is its equivalent on the Decoichet line?

A: Not sure what Debs equivalent shape is to a 2005 Drake, but the R13 looks pretty similair. The Drake is pretty soft compaired to a custom, but this is down to materials. Like a 100% carbon mast Vs 40% mast, the custom fin will feel more alive/responsive.

If your looking for max range out of the F-Type 158, maybe a 54cm, 64cm (supplied with board) and a 70cm will do this (Or sell the 64cm and get a 60cm & a 70cm). If the Drake fins agree with you, it would be good to get Drake 54cm & 70cm fins so they all have the same charicter.

Cheers

Remi 26th February 2007 04:01 PM

Hi Pa10,

Sorry I didn't see this post.

So I recomand you a R13 soft rake + 6cm on this board. The R19 is too much powerfull and really Formula orientation. So you will less fast on the reach.

All the best