Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Evo IQ Volume and Sailsizes (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9403)

dkfishburger 15th August 2010 03:45 AM

Evo IQ Volume and Sailsizes

Hi,
in Western Australia I've enjoyed to ride Starboard rental boards. It was a 2010 Quad 76 and a 2006 Evo 75. The Evo was much better for me, propably because I am used to ride more conventional shaped boards. At home a have a Fanatic Newwave 75 2009, 238x54,5, quite thin rail shape, dome deck. It could be a bit bigger, because it feels a bit sticky with 5,3 sails. I am thinking about a 2011 Evo, which is VERY wide and short. Normally I use 75l boards, but because to the width, will the Evo 76l suit better or the 71l?
I am around 70kg and want to use mainly 5,3 and 4,7, seldom 4,0.
Unfortunately the conditions are normally not too wavy (Baltic Sea, Southern North Sea), but sometimes I am at spots like in Klitmöller in Danmark or very seldom Cape Town. So - mostly small, slow waves, sometimes bigger.

The 71l Evo is desiged from 3.0 to 5.0, the 76 from 3,5-5.5 according to the website. It would mean, that I have to use 76l in order to use a 5,3 sail.

What do you think? 71 or 76?

Thank you,
Dkfishburger

Ola_H 15th August 2010 04:50 PM

That's a bit of a tough call. I haven't sailed the EVO IQ 76 but used the 2010 Quad 76 a lot and it's the same shape. Despite that the twin fin setup in the EVO IQ will surely soften the ride a bit, I think it's gonna be a bit too much board for the good days. Awesome for 5.3 and light 4.7 though.

The new EVO IQ 71 is a new shape. I have it but need some wind to get on water experience. But based on my experience with it's predecessors I'd say 5.3 is surely within reach and could even be very good. At your weight you can forget about the sail sizes on the web site. I'm also just above 70 and all EVOs, ETs, Quads in the Starboard lineup around this size always worked super well with 5.3 and even OK with bigger sails. We're still talking a 56cm wide shape. For more B&J style sailing when you want extra straight line effectiveness with the 5.3 you can also use a (slightly bigger) single fin. And in 4.7 stuff, even underpowered, you will definitley find the E71 very effective and I'm sure that from powered up 4.7 and windier, you will feel more comfy on the 71.

So, the more I wrote about it, the more clear it seems the 71 is the logical choice, right? I'm 100 % sure btw, that the E71 will feel more effective in underpowered 5.3 than your NewWave.

dkfishburger 19th August 2010 09:42 PM

Hi Ola_H,

Thank you for the quick answer. It seems like the new Evo will feel slightly bigger than the old ones because they are a lot wider. Is it right? I used the 06 Evo with powered-up 4,2 and it was OK...

We have mainly Wind for 5,3 and 4,7, sometimes not really waves, so I am still not too sure if the 71 will be best for these conditions. The problem is that there is no Starboard dealer which has Testboards in these sizes.

And - on the E76, if I change from single fin to some small twin fins, the board should be much looser.

Seems like I have to decide between the E76 which is best for the 5,3 or the E71 which is best for powered-up 4,7 and 4,0.

Ola_H 20th August 2010 03:09 PM

I rode the 71 yesterday with underpowered 5.0 in twin fin mode. I'd say it was nowhere near the limit. The board felt really stable and surefooted bot in a straightline and on a wave. But if you're after a more lively type of feel in underpowered wave sailing and do a lot of sailing when there are no waves, I think that maybe the 76 is the way to go after all.

As I said, it's a tough call since both boards will do the job, just with a different flavor, so to say.