Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windsurfing School (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Waterstart (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9467)

Luis2009 27th August 2010 05:57 AM

Waterstart

I am making the transition from the shallow water to the deep water waterstarts and I need some advice of how to clear the sail from the water.
Many people recommend lowering the boom and put it on the end of the board in order to lift the clew out of the water. I have a GO 144L (246cm length) so I would have to significantly lower the boom if I want to use this method.
Buying a water-starter may be another option.
Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

olzcyk 27th August 2010 02:42 PM

Hi,

You don't need to lower the boom nor buy a "waterstarter." Just place the foot of the sail on top of the (back) board before starting and you should have no problems. I use that method f. ex. with my 9.0 and 155 Go.

Earlier I had similar problems with the clew sinking down and bought the "waterstarter." It was some help but you don't really "need" it in order to perform ok.

Ken 29th August 2010 02:11 AM

If the sail is downwind of the board and the mast is near the back foot straps, use one arm to hold on to the foot straps (essentially extending the length of the board) and pull the boom over your extended arm to lift the mast and leading edge of the sail from the water. If there is enough wind, fly the sail and do a water start. If the wind is too light to water start, just sit there with the boom resting on your arm until the wind picks up. Half the sail will still be in the water, but in the next gust, it will be easy to fly it out of the water.

Don't lower the boom. If you wear a life jacket, it will make the whole thing a bit easier.

There are other situations with different techniques to clear a sail for a water start.

Sail downwind and clew by foot straps.
Sail upwind of the board.

If you want the techniques, please ask.

Luis2009 10th September 2010 10:18 AM

Sometimes the clew is deep in the water and I have trouble of getting the sail out of the water. I have the dvd "From beginner to winner" with some techniques but it is easier to watch than to do. Hopefully, practice will make things better.
Thank you!

Roger 12th September 2010 09:02 AM

Anyone know who "closed" this thread?
Kinda hard to answer Luis if the thread is closed!
Roger

Roger 12th September 2010 09:11 AM

Hi Luis2009,
At some point, when we are/were learning to waterstart, all of us have had the "buried clew" problem.
It still happens to me when I have to waterstart in deep water or big swells.
As Ken suggests, using your arm (with your hand in the rear foot strap) can rally help, even with fairly large sails.
But overall, swimming out to above the boom, to lift the rig enough to get the wind under it, working on your sail control (to keep the wind "lifting" rather than stuffing the clew), and keeping your alignments (the board, the rig, and the direction you are loifting/controlling the rig) nearly always works, when nothing else will.
You have to do it alot, and the more you do it, the better you get at it. Vidieos, and instruction can help
some, but experience (lot's of it) is what ultimately leads to success.
Hope this helps,
Roger