Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   which board to get (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9571)

donovan:)))) 20th September 2010 07:44 PM

which board to get

HI i am deciding on which board to get the isonic or the futura .I am currently using the bic techno one design
board and sail and i feel like changing to shortboard at the end of the year. i am 55kg or around there I can plane but only in one strap and im still not using a harness ... but going to use it soon. The guy in the shop says that i should get the isonic but im still not so sure .....or should i wait longer before getting a board
please help :)))

night 20th September 2010 08:01 PM

I would say you should be choosing between carve and futura. But since you arent, answer is simple - take futura, iSonic is certanly not for you - yet.

donovan:)))) 20th September 2010 08:24 PM

ok .... but which size should i get . the wind around my area is usually very very light but if there is wind it should be around 7- 12 knots. Like you said the carve and futura which is better:) thks
Donovan

Unregistered 20th September 2010 09:08 PM

You will be sailing in 7-12 knots? I had Carve 122 year 2007 and it was a great board to learn everything, from footstraps, planing, jibes... I assume 2010 Carves are just as good as 2007, prob even better.

Carve is a great board for learning or just freeriding. Once I learned how to plane in footstraps I moved them to outer position and I went just as fast as my friend on Tabou Manta (Salom board, something like iSonic). Now I sold Carve and getting Futura since its faster and better looking (wood :) )

Since you will be using board in lightwind and you dont know how to use footstraps yet I would suggest getting Carve 121, possible with noseprotector since you will do couple of hammers while learning footstraps and harness :)

If you pefer futura, get it. Just dont get iSonic :)

Prodan 21st September 2010 02:11 AM

I'm also thinking of getting a futura or isonic (or kode) for next summer ^^ im also 55 kilos, but i can use the footstraps and harness etc. :P Im thinking that the futura won't be good in chop, or is it just me? I think the kode will be perfect cos it's fast, durable and made for wave/freestyle so it'll be very manouverable :) what do u guys think? p.s. if u want more info look at my post called "which board and rig should i get?".
for you i also think something with more control like the futura will be perfect. oh, and how much is a futura 2009/10?

donovan:)))) 21st September 2010 03:04 PM

wat about the tabou rocket they say it is a good board for beginners

Prodan 21st September 2010 03:31 PM

Don't know what that is... and you're not really a beginner. get a progressive board so you can also use it later on (something about 120-140l, maybe a kode tuffskin i dunno). just go read about different boards (starboard, fanatic, jp etc.find the prices and pick something nice in your price/skill range. btw what is it, cos new starboards cost about $1300 ) :)

Farlo 21st September 2010 03:59 PM

Hello Donovan, poster #4 made a good advice because Carve's are a bit longer than Furura's so the transition from a Techno will be easier. With 121 L you will have plenty of volume to help you in light air. If you don't grow too heavy you can keep it as a light wind board and buy another, more racy one, when you've got more experience. iSonic is for expert/advanced sailors and you won't use it to its full potential. In the meantime you may have broken it. I don't understand your shop (... or too well).

donovan:)))) 21st September 2010 04:15 PM

@prodan :im not so sure about the price range but last years models cost at least S$2000 for the carve and futuras.
@farlo :does the lenght make any difference ??? as in handling the board and is it ok if i go over the recommended sail range???

Prodan 21st September 2010 06:17 PM

Dude, if they cost $1500+ here at a shop and quads (most expensive ones i think) are $1400-1800 at an online store then your shop has overpriced stuff... just sayin' ,and if you're buying new i suggest u get 1 from an online store... you might find a good deal which includes a rig. other progressive boards you could use are a small go or i used 2 rent an rrd (evolution 360) it's quite small/ wide, comfortable and planes quite well. it has a daggerboard btw, and it's probably cheap :)