Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2011 Kode 94 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9907)

ralphc 23rd November 2010 03:41 PM

2011 Kode 94

Hi all,

1. Does anyone know if the 2011 kode 94 has extra tail kick than the previous years?

2. Also, does it have the same amount of tail kick as the 2011 kode 86?

3. Lastly, does anyone know if the 2011 Kode 94 is more biased toward wave riding or toward freestyle?

4. Judging by the reduced width and tail width on the 94 it looks like Kevin Pritchard may have a new light wind wave riding machine?

By the way ...
I am 1.91m and weigh 95kg. I do most of my sailing on the east coast of South Africa. Mostly for medium to large waves (4- 10ft+). I have used several brands and have found that Starboards suite my riding style the best (front foot) - thanks Tiesda and the boys!
(I have a 2011 quad 87 on order...)

Regards,

Ralph

Unregistered 1st December 2010 08:03 PM

Hi Ralph
I have had this board since september---------here's my take

1. Does anyone know if the 2011 kode 94 has extra tail kick than the previous years?
I compared it to the 2010 one and couldnt find much diference - but it does feel looser.

2. Also, does it have the same amount of tail kick as the 2011 kode 86?
Dunno - havent got an 86- dont want one got a quad 82 2011 as well.

3. Lastly, does anyone know if the 2011 Kode 94 is more biased toward wave riding or toward freestyle?
Seems a pretty good balance - it goes well from 6.5- 5.0 and is epic for boosting bit fat aerials but also seems to have even better pop than 2010.maybe not quite as stable off the plane perhaps.

4. Judging by the reduced width and tail width on the 94 it looks like Kevin Pritchard may have a new light wind wave riding machine?
Reckon so - butif it's 100% riding the quads are really hard to beat.

Cheers
Chris

ralphc 11th December 2010 02:12 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I received this board a week ago and sailed it yesterday.
I sail in waves from 5ft upwards with 4.5 - 5.6m2 NP Kombat (mostly 5.6m2 - I weigh 95kgs, 6'4"). Where I live, try-before-you-buy is not possible and I have to make a decision based on website information. Which is incorrect on the starboard website, by the way. This board is 61 wide and 236.5 long.

The thickness in the tail on first inspection was not encouraging.
After sailing the board briefly yesterday I noted the following.

The board feels very buoyant which is a result of the width and the thickness in the tail.It gets going fairly quickly and feels stable at speed.
However, that is where it ends.
Gybes tend to want to stall toward the end.
The bottom turn is fairly stiff and needs a large amount of commitment and pressure to initiate and hold - even for my weight (5.6 m2, smaller fin - 26 wave - forward in the box).
The back foot feels very high which is made worse by the thickened deck pad.
Initiating a bottom turn (front foot pressure) is fair due to the thin rails in the middle of the board BUT when the tail comes into the equation on the top turn, it goes pear shaped due to TOO MUCH TAIL VOLUME. This is if it does not stall before hitting the lip.

As a heavy wave rider I am left feeling that this board is biased toward a freestyle machine far more (more like 80/20) than the "aggressive" wave nature that the old Acids use to have.
This is unfortunate for me (and several of my friends who are also larger that the average sailor).

I certainly would have bought a Flare if I had the conditions for freestyle. Why the higher volume boards need to be biased toward freestyle is still something that confounds me when the Flare range is available.

At 95kgs I cannot comfortably sail an 80ltr Kode with a 5.6m2 since this is the "proper", "Aggressive" wave board.

In conclusion, I owned a 2008 Acid 86 for some time. This board changed my sailing and made me a Starboard only sailor. It was wide at the mast with a narrow pin tail - perfect for cutbacks. It was stable at rest and in any varying radius bottom turn and had huge top speed to ride even the biggest waves. This concept is gone.

Ola_H 11th December 2010 06:48 PM

Hi

True, the bigger (86+) Kodes are not as wave oriented as the smaller or the earlier big Acids. But I would still encourage you to try a real wave fin on the board, like the 25cm Drake Natural. It makes a really noticeable difference. Can you get these fins where you sail? The Big Drake Natural fins are an awesome combination of good power and turning. I hope this will help make the board more like you want. Let us know how it works out.

A comparison with the Quad 87 would also be interesting.

Edit: Now I saw you already tried a wave fin. Then I reckon the only option is to see if some more time on the board will let you figure it out. Would moving the back strap forward be an option? I really think there is some more wave performance to be found in the board, at least judging from my own experience with the Kode 86. Again, let us know.

PG 13th December 2010 10:47 AM

But why did you not get a Starboard Quad IQ 92? About the same volume, and made for waves...

ralphc 13th December 2010 02:00 PM

I would have immediately taken a quad if one was available.
As I have previously stated, I do have a quad 87 on order (Jan 2011).

The Kode 94 was all that was available and I still have memories of the "aggressive" Acids - therefore the decision to get the 94.

I have sailed several other brand quads as well as the evil twins.
I still enjoy the single fin feeling and would like to keep one in my quiver.

Just a pity that heavier sailors are not catered for in the single fin "wave" range.
Beside the Acid 86, this has been a problem for several years...

I have placed the back straps in the back holes and the front ones in the front holes for my stance (wide). Perhaps the Kode 86 has a slightly thinner tail?