View Single Post
Old 13th May 2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Jonathan

Default RE: Wave board for me

Hi Ricardo,

I have an Evo 80 and a PA74 both wood and I weigh 70kg. I find the Evo fine with a 5.7 and am amazed how much fun it is in light wind, just couldn't see the point of a 90l Evo. I love the PA in high wind blasting mode but haven't really sailed it in proper big waves, I had a Fanatic Freewave 78 that I changed for the PA and find the PA so much more fun to sail, quick to plane, great to jibe but not nearly as harsh as the Fanatic. I went from a 2005 Evo 74 to the 80 and also find this a great improvement. Probably my technique but I always struggled to keep upwind on the Evo 74 in light wind, the 80 is much easier to keep upwind and almost as easy to waveride in onshore wind. The great thing about the Evo 80 for me is the range, I can uphaul it quite easily but still have great control with a 4.5 in strong wind. I did rent an Evo70 in Western Australia and have to agree that the Evo 70 and 80 would be an ideal wave combination - just for me where I sail the high wind is more B+J so the PA seemed the better choice. There really is a big difference between the PA74 and the Evo 80 in terms of sail carrying and general range - much more than 6 litres would usually indicate. I also tried an Evo 75 and found for my weight in Western Australia I felt happier on the Evo 70 - sounds crazy but I think I could get the 70 onto the plane faster than the 75 (to me the Evo 75 felt more like my old Evo 74). The reality is that I believe all of these boards are outstanding and whatever you choose you will get used to and really enjoy - you can't go wrong!

Good luck,
Jonathan
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote