View Single Post
Old 18th May 2007, 08:13 PM   #31
van

Default RE: Stop Formula XXL Sails!

GUYS GUYS GUYS

I HAVEN'T READ WHAT SVEIN SAID BUT HERE IS MY OPINION FOR WHOEVER CARES TO READ IT.

IT ALL VERY MUCH DEPENDS WHERE THE WINDSURFING MANUFACTURERS WANT THIS SPORT TO HEAD TO. EVERYONE WANTS TO SELL MORE AND THE ONLY WAY TO DO SO IS MAKE THE SPORT MORE ACCESIBLE TO EVERYONE. NOW IF THEY WANT TO HAVE AN ELITIST FORM OF RACING SUCH AS FW THAT'S FINE. BUT THE SPORT HAS A LOT MORE COMPETITION NOWADAYS FROM KITESURFING ETC AND THERE WILL BE SOME LOSS THERE.

MY PERSONAL OPINION IS TO HAVE AS LESS FORMS OF COMPETION AS POSSIBLE (IE WAVE, SLALOM, FREESTYLE AND ONE MORE BE IT FW, OR WHATEVER) WHERE IT WILL BE CLASSED AS THE OLYMPIC CLASS AND WILL ATTRACT THE MOST COMPETITORS EACH COMPETING WITH SAME OR SIMILAR EQUIPMENT AND WHERE THE WORLD CHAMPION CAN REALLY BOAST AS BEING THE BEST OF THE MASSES NOT THE BEST OF THE 100 FEW.

IN ORDER TO DO SO U HAVE TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE THAT ANYONE WITH A REASONABLE BUDGET CAN ROCK UP ONE WEEK END AND RACE AGAINST THE REGULARS. AND IN ORDER TO DO SO YOU HAVE TO LIMIT THE GEAR DOWN TO SAY ONE BOARD AND 2 SAILS. ONLY THEN I THINK THE SPORT WILL GROW DOWN THE LINE FROM FATHER TO SON ETC. IF YOU NEED 3 BOARDS AND 7 SAILS TO GO RACING THE SPORT WILL REMAIN FOR THE FEW PREVILIDGED THAT CAN AFFORD TO SPEND THIS MONEY.

IN ORDER TO DO THIS A LIMIT HAS TO BE SET TO 12-11-10 METER SAILS OR WHATEVER BUT A LIMIT HAS TO BE SET. ONCE THIS IS SET THEN THE SPORT CAN EVOLVE THROUGH THESE LIMITS. AND IN DOING SO THE SPORT WILL EVOLVE AND GROW.

NOW IF A GUY IS 105 KG AND WANTS TO WINDSURF RECREATIONALLY WITH A 12M SAIL THAT'S FINE AND GOOD FOR HIM . BUT FOR RACING THAT IS NOT INDICATIVE OF THE SPORT. I AM A MEMBER IN A CLUB IN GREECE THAT HAS ABT 80 TO 100 MEMBERS AND NONE OF THEM OWN ANYTHING MORE THAN A 9.5 AND I ASSURE YOU LESS THAN HALF ARE WAVE/FREESTYLE SURFERS. MOST OF THEM ARE JUST GUYS/GIRLS HOW LIKE TO PLAIN WIDSURF.

SO THE 4TH FORM OF RACING I THINK SHOULD REFLECT THE GENERAL MARKET AND SHOULD BE LIMITED TO SAY 10M OR THERE ABTS.

van is offline   Reply With Quote