Old 1st June 2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Freeride board for 86 kg 6'

Hi Beaowolf,
I have to agree with Ola H. here.
Sounds like you are looking for a board that's way to big for what you want
to learn next.
In 15-20 knots you could be on 5.5-7.5 m2 rigs and to do any "jumping" (chop hopping, boat wakes, etc.) you would probably want a board in the
110-120 liter range.

Your weight and the wind conditions will be big factors in volume, type of board and rig size selection.
If the only boards you&#39;ve sailed are 220 liter longboards, or Starts, with smaller sails (< 6.5 m2) then you really do not have much appreciation for what you can do with a smaller board that has alot less volume.
I&#39;m puzzled as to how you learned "waterstarts" (where you line the board and rig up and the rig lifts you from the water with the power in the sail) on a 220 liter entry level board. That would seem extremely difficult in not perhaps impossible.
I also agree with Ola that , at first, you are going to find a much smaller board alot more difficult, but if you get about the right size, so you can still uphaul in light winds, you may progress pretty rapidly.
It will depend on having rigs that work with the board in the conditions you actually have.
Is there any possibility that you can demo some smaller boards to find out what&#39;s going to work for you BEFORE you go and buy one?
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote