View Single Post
Old 4th July 2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Would a 133L Carve work

Hi Daniel,
I have to agree with Rod r. here.
You are looking at a Carve 133 (nice board, but not in 12 Km/h (6.5 knots) - 15 Km/h (8.09 knots) of windspeed.
You could learn all there is to know about sub planing ("schlogging") but you woulod never come close to planing (not even with a huge 10 m2 + rig).
If 8 knots is as much wind as you ever get there in Alberta, my guess is that you will soon be "traveling" to other more windy places to get your "windsurfing fix".
There are other boards that would come closer to planing, but they all require 10 m2 + rigs to give any sort of performance in < 10 knots of wind.
The most "exciting" board for your stated conditions would be the Serenity, and I won&#39;t suggest that board for a beginner.
A larger, wider board (Start, GO w/sidefins, Rio or one of the other entry level boards) is what you are going to need to learn your "basics".
Since it sounds like you are going to be "teaching yourself" even with these boards and a good 5.0-6.5 m rig you are going to "struggle" alot.
Get a few lessons somewhere and you would be "on your way" and beyond the entry level board and rig, but doing it by the "school of hard knocks" usually means it&#39;s going to be frustrating and it&#39;s going to take awhile.
That&#39;s what wider, more stable boards do. Learning the basics is a couple of magnitudes easier and the frustration levels are almost nil.
AND with a larger rig, these boards will get you closer to planing a whole lot sooner.
If you had 12-15 knots of wind, are willing to put up with the frustration and significantly longer learning curve, the Carve 133 would work with a 7.2 m2 rig.
Why you seem to be insisting on a Neil Pryde 7.2 m2 rig is also a bit questionable. Do you want to look "cool" or something? Has someone offered you this rig at a good price, or for free.....?
And, whether this rig will actually work for an entry level sailor is going to depend alot on what mast you get (NP&#39;s are fairly mast specific) and whether or not you can afford a light weight carbon boom.
Why not spend your money on a good trainer rig, or something easier and smaller (5.0-5.5 m2). Get a good 75% + carbon mast and a wave or freeride size carbon boom and you would have a lightweight easy to learn on rig.
Get a Retro or Retro Ripper 5.0 and you will have a great little sail that&#39;s got some power as well.
Sorry to "burst your bubble" here, but learning to windsurf by teaching yourself with online help from the internet, on gear that basically is totally unsuitable for your conditions is going to be a monumental task, and you may just get so frustrated (with the difficulty and the lack of performance) that you give up.
On the other hand, other sailors have managed somehow to progress to the levels you aspire to, in unfavorable conditions, on totally unsuitable gear, so do not take my warnings as anything but friendly warnings that there are easier ways to do this. It&#39;s not impossible on the Carvve 133 and the NP Saber 7.2, but why anyone would deliberately build in so many roadblocks/hurdles to get over is incomprehensible to me.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote