View Single Post
Old 11th July 2007, 04:20 AM   #13
Phill104

Default RE: q on isonic and sails

Thebiggest problem I have is that I often sail on an inland lake. The makes for very gusty conditions requiring the need for a bigger sail. Often in winds where I would be on a 4.7 at the coast I will need a 5.7 on the lake. I never really look at the windspeed as I just rig up on feel for the conditions. Here un the UK, summer winds can be blowing the same speed ad winter winds but have far less energy in them also requiring a bigger sail for a given strength.

The cammed sails take about the same amount of wind (possibly slightly more) as the no cam sails but remain stable. When reaching overpowered on the no cam sails they begin to get twitchy but the X-15s just stay as steady as a rock. This allows me to just keep accelerating on the iSonics until my bottle goes. Their bottom end is not so good though (suprising considering the amount of pre set shape) and really like to have some power in them.

What I do notice is that you need to carefully select your sail from a range. One 5m from one brand can feel and behave more like a 4.5 from another. If you play it right the .5 difference you wish can feel a lot more by careful sail choice.

I'm sure others on here can tell you a lot more about this than me though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote