View Single Post
Old 8th September 2006, 02:04 AM   #4
Adrian

Default RE: For Ian Fox: Sonic100 vs iSonic101/94

Hi Ian (and question to Ian on the subject of 94 v 101)

During your comparison testing between the isonic 105 and sonic 95 did you have any sub 75kg sailors involved with the testing? Did they find the same results as the 90Kg testers?

I'm asking this because owning both the 95 and the 105 (and sailing the 115 quite a lot too), and weighing 73kg, I found it hard to get the 105 up to the speed of the 95 in standard beam reaching conditions with SSRs 6.6 and 7.6 in Port Phillip chop. I have found, as you mentioned earlier in this thread, the 105 really needs to be sailed "power on", but with a lot of concentration to get it to fly, wheras the 95 is easy to sail very fast without too much "grunt" or effort. I also found the shoulders of the 95 seem to sail higher and stop the board less when the chop/swell comes at different awkward angles to the board.

However, the 105 is far easier to sail out of the gybe at speed and at my weight is very quick with 8.6 SSR in the UK chop I now sail. I also found the 105 more docile on the limit than the 95 despite it's greater width, with less tendancy then the 95 for the nose to rear up in a gust when sailing overpowered.

I would be very interested to know whether the short and high rocker of the 95 has been kept the same for the new 94, or has it the lower rise of the 105/115 and sonic 85?

Thanks for your time, and would also like to add that your responses to technical questions on performance boards are the most informative of those available on the net.

Cheers,

Adrian.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote