View Single Post
Old 1st August 2007, 03:43 PM   #25
Jay

Default RE: Problems going upwind

Roger,

The key thing is to be sure you really have confidence in your surgical team and center. Good cardiac surgery centers do so many of these and much more complex procedures that they really have them dialed. I think it is safe to say that this kind of surgery is now more science than art because the techniques are so highly refined. You can ask your surgeon about their statistics on how many of these procedures they have done and how many people have had complications. You will likely be amazed at how low the complication rate is. Once you're confident you are in good hands, then I suggest you do your best to have a positive attitude about your outcome. I believe studies have shown that people with a positive attitude and lower stress do better after surgery and recover quicker. We're pulling for you, Roger!

By the way, back to the topic of this thread, I was out yesterday on my FT158 in 12-15 mph wind and tried your suggestions. WOW. Your input was right on the mark and quite simple to implement. I"ve never planed upwind like that in relative comfort and control. By lifting/pulling with the front foot and pushing across the fin with the rear foot I was effectively "scissoring" the board upwind; I think the setting the hips allowed me to do that without disturbing the sail (other than slightly increasing it's rake slightly as I leaned a bit more forward in the gusts). It was fun doing "S-curves" upwind, footing off a bit in the lulls and pointing higher in the gusts, all via scissoring. Roger, you are the best, thanks so much for helping me experience that thrill!

Jay
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote