View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2007, 07:41 AM   #9
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default RE: sunken mast track

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW... HOLY CRAP!!!!

As you suggested, I sailed the hypersonic 111 with the 34 cm fin while juiced on the 7.6 naish redline. I am at a loss for words. Once you figure out that baring away a lot REALLY helps early planing and getting into the straps on that board, its crazy. I could plane super fast and before people who were even on carve 133's and 8.5s! I could outstrip anyone and could really get dialed in. What a thrill!

its kind of scary baring away though. We had some semi big chop for 16-20 knots and I was hesitant about sinking the nose and me killing myself ;-)

I tried a couple of jibes too. It was fun, I always had a lot of entrance speed and almost made it around a couple of times!

Tacking was difficult though. I fell quite a few times in the choppier gusts. But it pointed so high upwind, I didn't really care. I was just suprised at how much physical effort it takes to sail. I was exhausted after 3 hours sailing! USually I don't even have to come off the water, but now, I take breaks every 30 minutes or so.

My questions are...

1. I found that I spun out quite a few times. People said that it was the weeds that caused them. Is this true? I don't wanna try breaking my speed record (which was set today :-D) knowing that spin out could indeed happen with my technique right now. if it was the weeds, than I can live with that, its not usually that windy.

2. Jibing was pretty fun, but do you have any solid tips? I found I really had to lift with the foot still in the strap to get a tighter turn.

3. What do you describe as an ideal stance for overpowering conditions. Do I need to worry about the nose diving? or can I just sail like I would with a 32 cm longer board...

Thanks a lot Roger, hope you get better soon,

Thomas

PS HYPERSONICS ARE AMAZING!!!!!! I took a break and let two other very experienced sailors try it and they came off the water stoked, amazed and best of all... WANTING ONE TOO!
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote