View Single Post
Old 16th November 2007, 09:12 AM   #10
Unregistered

[QUOTE=Screamer;16549]Post #7

>1. if you want to plain and race, formula is it, it will give you largest wind range for
racing and plaining
-No it won't. What will it give you if it's 2-10 knots day? (happens often on a scheduled race calendar)

Read what I wrote, PLAINING racing, the FW has the largest plaining wind range,
if you don't care if you plain or not , it's a diff story...

>2. depending on where your location there're great
deals on used formula gear, sometimes 15-20% of original price
-This is a joke, right? What you say could be said for any ws gear, and old raceboards could be picked for next to nothing, and still compete within their class.

Just a comment on condition of used equipment market, that didn't exist for FW couple
of years ago

>3. if you're light, <150lb or so, you can get away with 9 or 10 m2 sail,
don't have to go jumbo >=11m2
-Two things: what if you are heavy? And if you're light, you can sail a raceboard with a 7m (instead of a 9 or 10) in the same conditions.

Since there was a comment about heavy equipment

>4. it is a very technical/physical sailing, so training is the key to fully enjoying
formula sailing and taking advantage of it's potencial
-That's true, I agree. But not everyone wants to train hard to participate in a windsurf race.

Yup, it's not best racing gear if you don't push yourself

>5. in the last year or 2, boads/sails did noticebly improved in performance/range
-True. But none of the drawbacks I talked about have disappeared.

Actually, board range increased (lower/upper) + upwind/downwind, etc,
Same for sails, plus whole rigs feels lighter and more fun - what don't you like about that?

>6. when not racing, it could double as a begginer board, it's soo wide and easy
-It's also very easy to dent, crack and generally ruin. It has footstraps in horrible positions when you're learning to plane, and don't even think about gybing. Apart from sheer size and stability, they are not good beginner boards.

If you can pick one up for $200 or so it's preaty good choice, plus I do know
few begginers that learned and really love fw boards, you can glue a pad on the nose to
protect it from cracks, I'm not going even go into jibing, it's too easy on that board

>I can go on and on...
-I believe you. But none of your arguments is very strong. I also believe you like sailing Formula very much, and I've nothing against it. It's just that Formula is not the answer for racing in all conditions, everywhere.