View Single Post
Old 15th September 2006, 01:10 AM   #12
steveC

Default RE: Starboard Appollo/Formula Windsurfing

Hi Ken,

Having more than one board offers significant versatility, and its hard to see the downside in that. The one thing that has become apparent to me is that so many folks are replacing their boards yearly. Unless you're sponsered, that's a mighty expensive luxury in my mind. Personally, I doubt that there is that much innovation yearly to warrant buying a new board each year, but the drive to have the latest and greatest runs strong in some folks blood.

I guess the point I wanted to make would be to pick up that new Apollo and not replace your F160 this year or the next. Getting into replacing a board every two to four years allows you to develop a strong quiver of boards to make the most of the conditions. Of course, that strategy wouldn't simplify the transportation issues of hauling a ton of stuff around. Really though, the problem only becomes more daunting and costly if one travels to races via the airlines.

Still, George makes a very strong point above. Time on the water is the true benefit, especially if you have a competitive edge. Given the idea that a 75cm fin is part of the Apollo's core strength, it is very likely that FW rules could be changed a bit to allow the larger fin. With that change, I think it makes real sense to modify the rules to allow a sailor to change boards on a race by race basis so that one is not fated with enduring a poor choice in a regatta.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote