View Single Post
Old 21st November 2007, 02:38 AM   #25
Unregistered

I agree that there is much misinformation about formula out there. In the USA the formula fleets have the most sailors, and the most serious sailors, so to say that formula never took off is flat out wrong. Also, a good sailor with used gear will always beat a lesser sailor with the best gear. The arms race is way overstated. There is a lot of used formula gear out there to be had, so it isn't all that expensive. You really only need one board, two sails (11.0, 9.0 for small people, 12.0, 10.0 for big people) and one fin. It is true that the best sailors finish way in front of the more novice, but isn't that the way it should be. I don't know about you, but I want to be rewarded for my time on the water, overall fitness, and race tactics. Racing is one thing, but I can't imagine training on a longboard. When it is 10 mph, I can't think of a better set-up than formula and when it is 20-30 it is very intense and hair-raising (going fast is fun!). I wouldn't want to be on my lake in under 7 mph anyways no matter what board, after all "wind" is part of windsurfing. When it rains golf is cancelled, and in my mind when there is no wind, windsurfing is cancelled. I'm okay with that.

P