View Single Post
Old 21st January 2008, 12:26 AM   #3
steveC

I more recently completed some significant repair work on two of my boards, and I can say that the BoardLady's site is a wonderful resource and guide that includes step-by-step photos of different repair processes. On top of that, she's very attentive to E-Mail questions about any details that might be unclear to you. If you provide some digital photos of the damaged areas, I'm sure she could offer some advice to ensure you take the correct repair path.

Regarding paint, a critical thing from an appearance standpoint is getting a good color match. The BoardLady uses an airbrush process for paint repairs, but that kind of tooling investment, to include the learning curve to ultimately achieve a good result, might be difficult to rationalize.

In my situation, I initially contacted the board builder, Mike Zajicek, and asked what he recommended. He said I could achieve a fairly good result using Krylon High Gloss White spray paint in a can. The BoardLady wasn't very keen on the Krylon product, indicating from her experience that it could ultimately lead to some chipping and possible yellowing over time.

So, initally I attempted to use an older Z-Spar enamel spray paint that I already had but never used. Big mistake, as the color was all wrong, so I stripped it off. In the end I used the Krylon product. The color match was very good, and I'm quite happy with the result. If it yellows over time, my thought is that can always sand it and hit it with a fresh coat of paint.

Last edited by steveC; 21st January 2008 at 12:29 AM.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote