View Single Post
Old 26th January 2008, 02:24 AM   #22
steveC

The concept of growing windsurfing is a bit of a paradox. Surely its not like growing plants, where a regular focused effort in the garden is almost a guarantee of success.

Is it possible to grow windsurfing? Frankly, I have to admit that I don't really think so, as all my efforts to interest folks has never yielded any fruit. Nevertheless, I do believe that it's possible to promote the sport, and that can be done in a myriad of ways. But, and that's a big but, success really depends on folks seeing the vision and wanting to become a part of it. Yet, that's only the first of many hurdles to becoming a windsurfer, and that doesn't even begin to address the task of hanging on over the long haul.

The nature of participation is a very complex concept, and one that is continually tested over time in so many ways. I think we all have watched the picture change, and it's something we have almost no control of. I guess the only thing we can do as individuals is keep showing up at the beach and going for it, even if you're the only one there.

While much is up in the air and there's always a bit of mystery at every turn, I'm confident that the sport of windsurfing is here to stay. I think that the windsurfing industry (with Starboard being one of the leaders) is promoting a truly multifacited face to the sport. There are so many paths to follow, and this allows folks the opportunity to define what windsurfing will be for them. No matter what your idea of the sport might be, there's a kit out there to help you realize a good time and do it with style. All the tools are out there just waiting for those with the vision and desire to participate.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote