View Single Post
Old 21st September 2006, 09:12 PM   #11
dave macinnes

Default RE: Formula Windsurfing Worlds, Arnon and Gonzalo

Firstly, all credit to Steve, Ross, Antoine etc who did consistently well in the light winds.

Secondly, I think this line is pretty harsh "It's still bad sportsmanship to leave early and bad mouth the Race Committee". They did try to hold talks with Bruno & Ceri along with the majority of racers and got no where. By the sounds of things they got laughed at - and this is frustrating for anybody. Can't blame them for letting off steam. Check the results of past comps and you will see that both Gonzalo and Arnon had some pretty crappy starts to some comps - and they didn't pack a sad and go home. Those crappy results would be down to their error rather than questionable conditions. And it is questionable if there is a 4 minute difference between 5 and 6 place, with people parked up all over the place. It's not rocket science! Would love to hear how they justified keeping that race.

George - did you even read their report? They did file protests, and they were using a digital wind meter - and it did fall below the wind minimum. The course is a big place - and you can't use a meter ever where - thats why they have RC discretion. They left the event because they had exhausted every option to them - and were getting no where. Staying to the end would have had no impact on future events - and wouldn't have made any statement at all about the state of formula. Which as Justin pointed out is about formula killing RSX - making it redundant. (What would happen to Ceri and Bruno if formula disappear and RSX took over?). I dunno - but air-rowing isn't really that appealing to anyone - apart from those who get large government grants to do it.

And JTW - you crack me up "You got beat by better light wind sailors or folks who had better light wind gear". Make up your mind - which is it? If you have been to any comps (aren't you a weekend warrior - let me know if I'm wrong) you will know that both these guys are always right up there in the low wind - and Gonzalo is especially unreal at picking wind shifts - so you are a moron if you are saying it is down to their sailing. I dunno how the boards are performing this year but aren't they both on Pryde? Pryde make terrible sails don't they

dave macinnes is offline   Reply With Quote